tank background

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by rudzy17, Feb 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rudzy17

rudzy17 Astrea Snail

i have a glass 175 gal bowfront and want to paint background black. what kinds of paint work best for this venture? is there any prep work and/or primer that needs to be applied?

2. Click Here!

3. clownfish

clownfish Skunk Shrimp

Stay away from paints brother. The fumes alone can nuke your tank. Or even later after the paint has cured, as it gets old, it'll start to chip due to salt creep and/or other circumstances. Just go to your local LFS and buy some background plastic/paper, it'll do the trick and you can always take it off to clean it and such, it's very durable.

1 person likes this.
  4. scvc

scvc Bristle Worm

Or. less expensive yet. Go to the dollar store and get a plastic table cloth, what ever color you choose. I have found the deep blue looks great. Cut it the size you need and tape or glue it up. Then add your own corals for the picture. ;D

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I have used Rust O lum Primer paints on tanks for yr's established and brand new and I have never had any issues with pain hurting anything.. Painting will eliminate the salt and mess between the glass and the plastic sheeting..

6. rudzy17

rudzy17 Astrea Snail

thanks for the replies. i appreciate the info

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Wish I would have done this before cycling, I would recommend it to eliminate mess between the plastic sheet and glass.

Tangster... is there any way I can still paint with my tank up and running, or would this harm my tank?? What precautions/paint should I use?? I got about 8 inches from tank to wall.

8. Click Here!

9. mwlude

mwlude Astrea Snail

I used Krylon Fusion Spray. It is safe to place in the tank once cured. I would just mask off the tank/sump so no paint could get in and spray it.

10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I always have used the rustolum and I like the royal blue or the black Yes just get a can and a little roller and the little handle extension for it and get the back of the tank really clean.. Just like rolling a wall in a house.. But first use some vinegar and water then after that put some wind ex on a paper towel and clean it again all the salt has to be gone or the paint will pop.. Then just roll it on..
    Never use spray paint on a running tank won't kill anything but will make a mess out of the skimmer. I have used every paint in a Lowe's and one tanks new and or set up and I have never yet harmed any animals But then again I always use wind ex also LOL with no harm at all for yrs and yrs . This is what I know to work and to work and I have never harmed a thing Nothing at all.

1 person likes this.
  11. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Thanks for the help I think I will run to Lowe's and get some.

12. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Forget all that paint cloth stuff. Just stick some waving hands to the back glass with some magnet and forget about ever ahving to clean anythng back there ever again. lol. They'll spread soon enough.