Taking pics - what do you guys use?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Photography' started by PackLeader, Aug 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Just wondering what type of camera's you guys are using for getting the awesome picks of your equally awesome tanks. I have been using a sony cyber-shot, and it has a horrible habit of focusing on the glass, making whatever your trying to capture hopelessly blurry:angry:

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

I use a piece of crap kodak easy share. 6.1mp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Nikon D50 SLR, 18-55 lens and sometimes a macro lens from an old sony cam, that I took apart and can't put back together LOL It ate my tape! Only shots in the dark are done with a tripod and I never photoshop.

5. mudguard2005

mudguard2005 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Camera doesn't matter in most cases. You need enough light, and steady hands. If your hands are not steady, use tripod. Tripod will give you clear and blury free pics.

I use my Nikon D200, but I haven't used tripod so my pics get blury most of the time.

6. cuttingras

I have one of those and in the set up or menu section you can set it to take center, closest subject or dynamic area(pretty sure that what's they're called) and I'm pretty sure that's from the sony. Plus try taking it off auto and go to any manual settings you can find....play with it. At night lower your film speed and use a tripod

Mission:
    Then you must be very familiar with that camera, cause you take some awesome shots! I need a better lens.

7. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

It takes alot of pictures(deleting the crappy ones before getting a decent one) and batteries. No photoshopping here either. Crop and zoom only. I use macro mode(the flower).;D;D;D
    Thank you very much gras.
    [​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I use a Sony 5.1MP. It is an old camera. I do use photoshop. I have to, otherwise the pics look blue, blue, blue...blurry, blurry, blurry. My goal with the program is to get it looking as close to how I see it. I take the photo on max resolution (a whimpy 5.1MP). I "quick fix" it in the editor. That gives me a reasonable facimile, but still not really there. I adjust the "temperature" and the "midtone contrast" up a notch as well as using the sharpening feature. You can get carried away with that last one. This Christmas, a very large man in a red suit is going to bring me and Karen a good camera so I don't have to touch up everything. It is an arduous process.

Photoshop is a very good program......and I am using an early version.

10. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

That's the digital one right? If it is my friend has one and it takes amazing pictures. I have a Nikon N-75 that I have thought about using. Right now I use my Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. Since it is waterproof I have thought about dipping it into the tank lol.

It takes some great underwater shots. I edited them just a little bit, mostly sharpness and some color. I use IPhoto on my Mac.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cuttingras

Yes it is and you've been taking some really good shots too!

Mission, I forgot to mention though that crappy pic of the snail you took. I was highly disappointed in you! :lol:

12. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

i use a disposable camera, alot cheaper than these fancy shmancy ones now a days, and i get a disk so i can upload them right up onto my labtop.

1 person likes this.