Is Super Glue Reef Safe

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by adam, Dec 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Most people say yes its safe a few said that that regular super glue has chemicals init that the reef safe one does not have. I moved my Montipora away from my Favia due to it being stung and that side of him got a lighter shade of purple. I used 3 tiny tubes yesterday glueing the rock down to another rock and I got some of the gel on the Monti. I got off most. Will it recover liek new? Has anyone ever got superglue on a hard coral?
    Adam

2. Click Here!

3. morau89

morau89 Fire Shrimp

Yep, it is very hard to not get superglue gel on any sps when glueing down. Mine usually will encrust over the superglue in time. It happens to me all the time. Most all adhesives have chemicals that are not "reef safe" but it is in such a small quantity that it does not make a difference because of water changes and filtration. If there is someone that is advertising a 100% "reef safe" superglue I wouldn't believe it. I use any kind of brand name superglue gel.

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

I used all 3 little tubes. The Gel one didnt get on the Coral. I had to use a little of the liquid and that got a little on. Do you think the area where it was stung will get bettter in time? Will the glue just naturally come off the coral? I guess my Chemipure Elite(Carbon and Ferric Oxide) should get out any of the chemicals from the glue.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

It will recover.. I've done the same thing before to one of my monti's...

6. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

How long did it take to recover?
    ADam

7. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

I had a 3 or 4 inch piece of orange monti break in half when I was moving it into my tank. So I took a some super glue and glued it back together and mounted it.

That was 4 weeks ago and I noticed last night that it had grown over enough that you can hardly see where it was broke.

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

My Monti is about 9 inches under the 150 watt MH bulb It grows just not that fast. Here is a pic of the Monti

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  10. nanoreefer555

nanoreefer555 Fire Shrimp

I use anything with the words superglue on it also--never had any probs. It all says that the only ingredient is cryanocyalate. What are the ingredients in the "reef safe" alternative with less chemicals (not sure how there could be less chemicals than one)?

11. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

It actually says ethyl cyanocrylate.

12. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

What it will do is actually regrow over the dead part... It did take a while... But you could never tell now...