Super Cheap T5 HO fixture $160

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by mossyoaktoe, Aug 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

Hey reefers I'm 4 months new to the hobby and have enjoyed every bit so far. I am running a 48" Sunleaves Pioneer 6 bulb T5 HO fixture over my 135g reef tank (20" deep). I have been trying different combos of bulbs to find the best color to growth ratio possible. The fixture I'm using is one I had originally purchased to house flowers and cacti over the winter and when I was flirting with the idea of a reef tank I immediately knew I already had the light. I really love this fixture because of its price alone, I hope I can get the results I want out of it. Maybe I just need to wait longer for the results; as we all know, it's easy to get a little antsy.
    My questions are:

Has anybody ever used this fixture for reef keeping?
    Quality of reflectors?
    Power output?
    Why might high end models be more expensive and/or more effective (and why?)

The reason I ask these ?'s is because this fixture, as far as I can tell, puts off great color and light, it has individual reflectors (curious about others' thoughts on quality), and bulbs really last with this fixture (have ran 11,000k lamps for 4 months straight @ 24hrs). Also, some of my corals, specifically my zoas and green star polyp, have lost their bright colors and have faded to duller colors. I believe I am running a good combo of bulbs (back to front), 1 MarinelandGlo Actinic, 1 6500k vitalume GROW bulb(i know this is a cheapy but is just temporary until i decide what I need next, still pretty white), 1 coralife 10000k daylight, 1 MarinelandGlo Actinic, 1 Coralife 10000k daylight, 1 MarinelandGlo Actinic.

Again I like the color and its really looks like everything is getting good light, but since I took a brake on my stocking/spending (2 months ago) I havent seen much growth, although all looks healthy, and have lost the original super bright coloration from LFS.

btw most of my colorful corals I purchased at LFS weren't under MH lighting, they were all under overdriven T8 2 bulb fixtures(1 daylgiht, 1 actinic) and they looked great at purchase.

Thanks in advance for your help. Again I really like this fixture because it has individual reflectors and puts out a ton of light for the low price of $160. Let me know any thoughts you have, the more the better.

2. Click Here!

3. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

also, I really would like to know how to change/or add a pic to my avatar or profile pic or whatever

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

5. mossyoaktoe

mossyoaktoe Plankton

Well thats another bit I'm looking for, I cant seem to find any ratings on the fixture's reflectors or ballast. I really must say though, I've seen $300 T5 fixtures in stores and I really have come to find that my light really (as far as I can tell) is just as bright.

Btw, I am working on building fans into my fixture as I have recently read that even with fluorescent lights "cooling fans can boost efficiency of penetration anywhere from 10 to 20%.