setting up a 125 gal

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by hoppnjoe, Jun 1, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Astrea Snail

I'm ready to start buying itema for my tank, What i need to know what is the best sand for the tank, and what to use in my 40 gal sump. and do you have any other suggestions that i can use for the setup.! more question, i made a full top of tank cover, should i leave the opening cover off the tank for better air flow. thanks everyone for your help

2. Click Here!

3. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

I just setup a 150. It's cycling now. I have a 50 gallon sump. For skimmer I have a precision marine rl400. Mag 18 return pump. Dual overflows. I used 1" flex braided tubing for the return and I used 1 1/4" for the drain. I have a closed top canopy with 2 250w lumatex ballasts with lumatex reflectors and 20k radiums. My tank has stayed right around 80 with the lights on and my AC in my house at 75. I am found to add a couple black vents in the canopy with a fan and I'll have a small clip on fan running over the sump. That should lower my temp a couple degrees

4. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

your sand choices vary depending on what you plan to stock as far as grain size. crushed coral (cc) is general discouraged, stick with basic argonite sand. When it comes rock time remember the general rule of thumb is at least 1 to 1 1/2 lbs of rock per tank gallon. protein skimmers its also general recommend of course ot get one equal to the gallons of the tank but bigger is always better.

equipment wise spend the money and get a refractometer its more accurate and a very worthy investment. for test kits, skip the strips dont even look at them or waste your money. API is kind of the hobby minimum standard but salifert are generally more recommended.

what is your general goal for the tank? fowlr, reef, mixed? that will drive your lighting choices.

5. MarineHobbyist

MarineHobbyist Flamingo Tongue

You should keep a fan for exhaust in your canopy to help your system keep its temp low.

Same goes for your sump. I suggest you keep an exhaust in your stand.

If you want to keep SPS corals, I suggest you keep your substrate big so that it won't move around the tank so much when you get the powerful wavemakers that your sps needs.

6. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Astrea Snail

i want to make a reef tank,i want live corals with just a couple of fish. i have 2 fans built into the canopy, they are heat controlled, the warmer it gets under the canopy the faster the fans run. they are 4 inch fans. The lighting is a new 72 inch t5 with 2 mt built in with a row of blue led lights for moon light that comes on after main lights are turned off.

What size is the sand that i need? the sites that i have looked at mentioned sand in mm, but what size do i need? i dont want it blowing all over the tank

7. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I would say from my experience stay away from sugar sand in the DT. Sugar is great for a DSB in your refugium or sump if the flow isn't too high. Get something that averages 1 to 2 mm I would say.

8. Click Here!

9. hoppnjoe

hoppnjoe Astrea Snail

can you check out this site for sand and let me kmow whats best for DT and what best for sump thanks

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Bio-Activ Live Aragonite
    Reef Sand Natural White #1
    Premium Live® Aragonite Reef Sand
    Collected in its natural environment and packaged in its natural state (U.S. Patent #'s: 6,376,299 & 6,939,708)

Just place in tank, add saltwater (for best results use NutriSeawater®) then add fish, no waiting required.

Instant ammonia cycling

Perfect for most applications (except Undergravel filters)

Sandsifter safe

Digger friendly

Deep sand bed

Item #: 20731
    UPC: 029904204207315
    Grain size: 0.1-0.5mm
    Packaged: 4 - 10 lb (4.54 kg) Bgs/cs.
    Net Weight: 40 lbs 18.14 kg Per cs. Item #: 10731
    UPC: 029904107318
    Packaged: 2-20 lb (9.07 kg) Bgs/cs.
    Net Weight: 40 lbs 18.14 kg Per cs.
    U.S. Patent #'s: 6,376,229 & 6,939,708

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Bio-Activ Live Aragonite
    Reef Substrate
    Premium Aragonite Reef Substrate:
    Ideal for reef system tank bottoms, denitrifying anaerobic beds, extremely high surface area filter media.
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand.
    Item #: 10721
    UPC: 029904107219
    Grain size: 1.0-2.5mm
    Packaged: 2 - 16 lb Bags per case
    Net Weight: 32 lbs
    U.S. Patent #'s: 6,376,229 & 6,939,708

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Hawaiian Puka Shell #5
    Premium Reef Substrate:
    Ideal for reef system tank bottoms, denitrifying anaerobic beds, extremely high surface area filter media.
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand.
    Item #: 10221
    UPC: 029904102214
    Grain size: 2.5-3.5mm
    Packaged: 2 - 15 lb Bags per case
    Net Weight: 30 lbs

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Hawaiian Puka Shell #10
    Premium Reef Substrate:
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10231
    UPC: 029904102313
    Grain size: 3.5-5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Marine White Sand #0
    Premium Reef Sand:
    Benefits:
    Reduces Nitrates. Does not affect pH. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand. Will not alter the chemistry of your aquarium water.
    Item #: 10791
    UPC: 029904107912
    Packaged: 2 - 20 lb Bags per case
    Net Weight: 40 lbs

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Aragonite Sand #0
    Premium Aragonite Reef Sand:
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand. Play Sand.
    Item #: 10651
    UPC: 029904106519
    Grain size: 0.1-.75mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Aragonite Sand #1
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Reduces Nitrates. Maintain pH. Increases Carbonate Hardness. Provide Marine Trace Elements. Pre-washed Minimum Rinse Required. 100% From The Ocean Floor. Heat Sterilized. Ideal for culturing Live sand. Play Sand.
    Item #: 10631
    UPC: 029904106311
    Grain size: 1.2-1.7mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Aragonite Gravel #4
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10641
    UPC: 029904106410
    Grain size: 1.7-2.5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Samoa Pink Sand #0
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10151
    UPC: 029904101514
    Grain size: 0.5-1.5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Samoa Pink Sand #1
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10161
    UPC: 029904101613

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Samoa Pink Gravel #2
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10171
    UPC: 029904101712
    Grain size: 1.5-2mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Samoa Pink Gravel #5
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10201
    UPC: 029904102016

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE

Premium Atlantic Crushed Coral Sand with Aragonite #0
    Benefits of Atlantic Crushed Coral:
    100% from the Ocean Floor. Natural crushed coral sand. Maintains superior pH and marine chemical balance. Provides maximum surface area for biological nitrification. Scientifically graded for uniformity which provides maximum water flow and aeration. Prevents anaerobic (Dead Spots) in Bacteria bed. Completely chemical free. Pre-washed (minimum rinse required).

Item #: 10371
    UPC: 029904103716
    Net Weight: 40 lbs Item #: 10421
    UPC: 029904104218
    Packaged: 1 - 40 lb Bag per case

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Premium Atlantic Crushed Coral with Aragonite #4
    100% from the Ocean Floor. Natural crushed coral gravel. Maintains superior pH and marine chemical balance. Provides maximum surface area for biological nitrification. Scientifically graded for uniformity which provides maximum water flow and aeration. Prevents anaerobic (Dead Spots) in Bacteria bed. Completely chemical free. Pre-washed (minimum rinse required).

Item #: 10351
    UPC: 029904103518
    Grain size: 2-3.5mm
    Net Weight: 40 lbs Item #: 10401
    UPC: 029904104010
    Grain size: 2-3.5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Premium Atlantic Crushed Coral with Aragonite #8
    100% from the Ocean Floor. Natural crushed coral gravel. Maintains superior pH and marine chemical balance. Provides maximum surface area for biological nitrification. Scientifically graded for uniformity which provides maximum water flow and aeration. Prevents anaerobic (Dead Spots) in Bacteria bed. Completely chemical free. Pre-washed (minimum rinse required).
    Item #: 10361
    UPC: 029904103615
    Net Weight: 40 lbs Item #: 10411
    UPC: 029904104119

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Black Beach Sand #1
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10261
    UPC: 029904102610

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Black Beach Gravel #2
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10271
    UPC: 029904102719

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Black Beach Gravel #5
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10281
    UPC: 029904102818
    Grain size: 2.5-3.5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Australian Gold Sand #0
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10501
    UPC: 029904105017

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Australian Gold Sand #5
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10135
    UPC: 029904101354
    Grain size: 2.5-5mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Taiwan Coral Gravel #5
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10071
    UPC: 029904100715
    Grain size: 6-8mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Taiwan Coral Gravel #10
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10081
    UPC: 029904100814
    Grain size: 8-12mm
    Packaged 2 - 20 lb Bags per case
    Net Weight - 40 lbs

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Taiwan Coral Gravel #15
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10061
    UPC: 029904100616
    Grain size: 10-15mm

CLICK PICTURE TO ENLARGE
    Indonesian Coral Reef Sand
    Aragonite Benefits:
    Item #: 10311
    UPC: 029904103112
    Grain size: 1.2-1.9mm

10. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

sand is probably the easiest thing thats reef involved, it just depends on what you plan to keep, an sps reef has lots of flow so either no sand or large grained to crushed coral. if you will have burrowing fish get some iner sand. but just for an average tank medium grained sand will work good. and the sump doesnt really matter but i would suggest very fine sand so its sort of mudd ish and has lots of surgace area

11. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Much like drugs, just say NO to crushed coral.

It's far from the best choice because of nitrates & chemical absorbsion. Add to that depending on your livestock choices it can irritate or scratch animals especially bottom dwelling fish causing infection issues.

12. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

this is entirely opinion, i myself and mostly agaionst crushed coral for a reef tank but it is easily cleaned and in a high flow tank wont cloud the water such as sand