ribbon eel, clown angler and lionfish?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by SliverTab, Dec 29, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SliverTab

SliverTab Plankton

I am starting my new 115 aggressive tank and I was wondering if I could put a ribbon eel, clown angler and a lionfish all together? if so any suggestions on how I should go about this? In what order to place them in aquarium and so on...
    Thanks for the help!

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

I've been gone a while, but here we go.

The angler would definitely be out-competed for food by the lionfish, and possibly eaten by it too.

Ribbon Eels are notoriously hard to get on frozen food, and even then they don't typically last long in the home aquaria.

The lionfish however are a very good, hardy, breed of fish. For a 115g tank, a lionfish would be a very nice addition.

Any other fish you were thinking of? Will there be a refugium?

1 person likes this.
  4. SliverTab

SliverTab Plankton

no there will not be a refugium because the class on my aquarium cant be drilled... if I buy the angler first and train him to eat from a feeding stick you think I would be possible? and I know the ribbon eel is not the easiest fish to keep but would really like to give it a try... I plan on setting pvc pipes under the sand to try and make him a nice comfortable cave

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Pretty much answers your question.
    Anglers should be in a species only tank, and by themselves at that. They will literally try to eat anything and can choke and die. Not to mention they have a VERY slow metabolism and sometimes large meals can actually cause an infection.

Ribbons eels are one of those fish that should simply be left in the ocean. VERY hard to wean onto frozen, and can get aggressive towards other tank mates, not to mention the owner.

In your situation, I'd look for other aggressive fish for this tank, set up a 20 gallon long tank for an angler by itself, and skip over that specific eel.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to hear.

6. DrewSk

DrewSk Feather Duster

Had an angler at the store I used to work at actually eat a lion fish once, like the others said they need to be species only. I would say definitely on the lion, there are a lot of cool different ones to choose from. If you really want an then you can't go wrong with morays. There are some that don't get too large, like the snowflakes, that are very hardy as well. Just make sure you have a tight lid, they're escape artists!

7. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Depending on the dims, you could have a Zebra Moray, very pretty, and eat crustaceans, plus they are often peaceful.

8. Click Here!

9. SliverTab

SliverTab Plankton

If I went with a larger volitan lionfish you still think I'll have trouble with a medium size angler?

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Yup.

Anglers need their own tank. I'm not sure why one would even risk putting them together, odds are, you'll lose both fish.

11. hart24601

hart24601 Flamingo Tongue

I wanted a lion and angler too but after tons of searching I found that if they are close to the same size of the lion is a bit larger the angler will try and eat the lion and die. If the lion is large enough the angler won't eat him the lion will turn the tables and gobble up the angler. I was bummed too, lol.

12. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I wanted a ribbon eel for a long time but decided not to based on difficulty. However other morays would be awesome, personally I like zebra or a smaller one such as skeletor eel.