Reefing Evolution Bio-Snak Pak (BioPellets)

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by psionicdragon, May 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

Ran into this during my ebay searches for new toys to play with. Saw this company's version of the NP Biopellets. The price is comparable to Warner Marine's Ecobak, but has two version: Starter and Prime.

I place an order for one of each and going to test it out on my 55 gallon. Currently running NP Pellets on my 125, but not too thrill that my phosphate hasn't gone down, but instead went up lately. So going to test it out and update on this thread.

Here is a copy and paste of their description:

Reefing Evolution’s

Bio-Snak Pak

What is Bio-Snak Pak?

Reefing Evolution’s Bio-Snak Pak brings to you a new method to help control and eliminate unwanted nitrates and phosphates in your saltwater aquarium. The improved water quality in your system will promote a healthier and more robust reef and its inhabitants. Unlike our competitors, Bio-Snak Pak uses more than one type of polymers, which all are biodegradable, to aid in achieving your goal in reducing unwanted nitrate and phosphate. Bio-Snak Pak polymers help promote natural bacterial growth in the aquarium. These polymers were chosen for their size, shape, and ingredients used during the manufacturing process.

Why choose Bio-Snak Pak?

These polymers are smaller in size with greater surface area for bacterial colonization and provide different type of food source for beneficial bacteria. The polymers are smaller compare to other brands because the size allows water flow to push the polymers with greater ease and keep them in a constant state of motion. The larger surface area of the polymers allow more beneficial bacteria to colonize each individual pellets, which in turn provides more bacteria to the overall system to remove nitrate, phosphate, and feed your reef. The blend of polymers are “solidified carbon sources” that provides different type of carbon/food source for the bacteria to feast on to promote greater population growth in the system.

How does it work?

Bio-Snak Pak provides a food source and a home to the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria will colonize onto the polymers’ surface area and consume the polymers, which acts as the carbon source. In addition to feeding on the polymers, as water is injected into the reactor, nitrate and phosphate are stripped out of the water by the bacteria. As a result, the water coming out will have less nitrate and phosphate compare to the water coming in and the bacteria population will increase. Since the pellets will be in a constant state of motion, the excess bacteria will be forced out of the reactor by the water entering into the unit and into the system, where the bacteria will continue to feed on nitrate and phosphate. A side benefit of having the bacteria in the overall system is that they bacteria itself will act as a food source for filter feeders and corals. Nuisance algae such as hair algae, bubble algae, and bacteria such as cyano (red or green slime) will slowly disappear from your tank as they are starved to death because they cannot compete with the bacteria.

Are there any suggestions?

For the best performance, we advise that you use Bio-Snak Pak in a fluidized reactor. These devices will keep the polymers in a constant motion, where all areas of the pellets are exposed to new incoming water, and to prevent clumping and detritus from interfering with pellets’ duty.

A protein skimmer is necessary in order for the polymers to work appropriately. The skimmer will remove the bacteria, that aren’t consumed, but have consumed the nitrate and phosphate, out of your tank. The skimmer will also keep your PH level up because as the bacteria grow, they will consume oxygen and lower the PH level in your tank.

The major benefits of Bio-Snak Pak are its ease and results. There are no daily dosing regimens or weird calculation to determine how much you need to add every day. The fear of overdosing is a threat from the past! Once you set it, you can almost forget about it. The bacteria will do the work for you while you sit back and enjoy your tank.

Instructions:

We offer two different packages of Bio-Snak Pak: Bio-Snak Pak Starter and Bio-Snak Pak Prime. Each pack is 250ml. The difference between the two products is that they use a different type of polymer with different ratio for the beginning and maintenance process. In 2-4 weeks, you should noticed that your nitrate and phosphate has dropped.

Please following the correct instructions for the package you are using.

Bio-Snak Pak Starter:

Only one Bio-Snak Pak Starter is needed per tank set up (which includes the tank with or without a sump) regardless of the size of the setup. The Bio-Snak Pak Starter is carefully formulated and tested to prevent excess bio mass (bacteria bloom, a white cloudy effect in the system similar to a fog within the tank) from forming, which is dangerous to the tank.

Instructions:

- Rinse the polymers in water to remove any dust caused by transportation

- Add the Bio-Snak Pak Starter to your fluidized reactor (for maximum results) or in a media bag placed in a high flow setting.

- Test your water for nitrate and phosphate (use a phosphate test that can determine low range)

- Maintain sufficient flow through the polymers. The polymers should be circulating through the reactor. We suggest a pump rated for 125gph per pack used.

- Direct the output from your reactor toward the intake from your skimmer or place the media bag before the skimmer to aid the bacterial removal process and maintain proper PH levels

- After one week, retest your nitrate and phosphate. The nitrate and phosphate will not significantly reduce because Bio-Snak Pak Starter is used as a stepping stone to introduce a new food source to the system without shocking your system and initiate the bacteria growth process.

Bio-Snak Pak Prime:

Each pack of Bio-Snak Pak Prime is 250 ml. We suggest using a pack per 25 gal. Over a 3-6 month period, the polymers will reduce in size, which indicates that the bacteria are consuming them. In general, depending on your bio load size, you may need to add more Bio-Snak Pak Prime every 3-6 months. You can add as much Bio-Snak Pak Prime as you wish because you cannot overdose the product.

Instructions:

- Rinse the polymers in water to remove any dust caused by transportation

- Add the Bio-Snak Pak Prime to your fluidized reactor (for maximum results) or in a media bag placed in a high flow setting.

- Maintain sufficient flow through the polymers. The polymers should be circulating through the reactor. We suggest a pump rated for 125gph per pack used.

- Direct the output from your reactor toward the intake from your skimmer or place the media bag before the skimmer to aid the bacterial removal process and maintain proper PH levels

- Test your water for nitrate and phosphate weekly (use a phosphate test that can determine low range)

- Depending on your bio load, you may need to add more Bio-Snak Pak Prime if your parameters do not improve, but maintain stability.

- If you feed heavily, it is suggested that you use the polymers along with phosphate removal media. Most food products contain a high level of phosphate, especially frozen foods that have a lot of juices. Bacteria are better at removing nitrate (nitrogen) compared to phosphate.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

So I got my shipment on 6/1. This is what it looks like:

[​IMG]

The media looks different from NPs. It is smaller and the color is white compare to the yellowish brown.
    The media is in TLF and seems to tumble well with the starter pack.

I did a 50% water change yesterday. So my nitrate is around 60-40 I think. (flash was on when I took the picture)

[​IMG]

Lets hope it works!

4. jakeh24

jakeh24 Pajama Cardinal

nice, It will be interesting to see how they compare to the bigger name brand.

5. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

So far so good. I noticed there aren't any white stringy stuff which usually occurs when you overdose or a massive bacteria bloom in the tank. All the fishes seem happy and swimming around.

I am going to add the Prime tomorrow then retest the water. Seems like Reefing Evolution is having an introductory sale. buy 4 at 17.99 each and get one free. Not a bad deal. May get more if this works out well since I only got enough for 40g.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Using Prime and then testing the water will give you bad readings as Prime will temporarily lock up some of the Nitrates. Additionally, if you're using Prime and these pellets at the same time, how do you know if the pellets have done anything at all? Maybe it's only the Prime that's making your nitrates (APPEAR) lower.

7. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

Oh, I am not using Prime the liquid. Its their second package, its called Bio-Snak Pak Prime. I think its used for maintenance after you use the Starter for a week.

Sorry for the confusion.

8. Click Here!

9. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

Well its Sunday. I am bored. I might as well just add the Prime package and do some testing.

As I mentioned earlier, I am testing these on a 55 gallon with 4 anthias, but I added a Regal Angel.

I did not use any GFO because I wanted to see the true test without any phosphate removal media affecting the results. The tank just has a skimmer, and a wet dry as a filtration unit.

Early in the week, I did a water change and the Nitrate was around 60-40 (its hard to tell with these color changing tests).

Today I tested for Nitrate:

[​IMG]

As you can see from the photo, the test vial is placed against the color indicating card. My nitrate dropped down to 20ppm from what it looks like. I think its around 20-30ppm.

I also tested for phosphate:

[​IMG]

To me, the phosphate looks like it is between 1.0 and 2.0. I would assume it is around 1.5ppm.

So far from my general conclusion, I think the product is working pretty well. I have yet to do a water change and I empty out the skimmer cup once a day since there are so much stuff building up in it.

In regards to my fishes, they do not seem to be adversely affected by the media or anything. They are going about their business as nothing different occurred. They are healthy and eating. No weird diseases such as HLLE, etc. A few of the media came out and the Regal keeps picking at it for some reason.

If it goes well, when my NP runs out, I am going to order some more for the main display tank because I only had enough for this test. They seem to be having a special when you buy 4, you get one extra for free at 17.99. Not a bad price.

I am glad that this new media is coming out from different vendors and I hope each vendor has similar results. I am also glad that the pricing has come down a lot since NP was first introduced it. At first, I couldn't really justify paying 100 for NP pellets, but after reading reviews, I wanted to test it out. But I do not think I can justify spending another 100 bucks for it if I can find alternatives. Since there are cheaper alternative that achieves similar results such as Warner Ecobak, Reefing Evolution's Bio Snak Pak, and a few other company, I think in the end, we reefers/hobbists, benefits from the new technique/technology.

I will keep putting updates up. I may try Warner Ecobak next to see their results. I am a hands on person :p

10. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

anyone else trying this product? if so, share your results.

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

there was a write up on here a couple weeks ago from Matt and i believe someone was testing them... (Gresham or else Powerman maybe?)

12. psionicdragon

psionicdragon Plankton

The next part of the instruction was to put the "Prime". Here is the nitrate test as of yesterday night.

Nitrate has dropped down to 20ppm.

[​IMG]

For phosphate, it is harder to see. I am not sure how to show the real color of it on the camera. The phosphate is below the 1.0 and above the .5 on the chart. So I would assume its around .8 or something because it was not light enough for me to conclude that it is at .5 but higher.

[​IMG]