Reef and Trigger Safe Fish/Corals

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ccscscpc, Feb 15, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Hi...I have a pink tail trigger, a huma huma picasso trigger and a bursa trigger. Along with a Tang, damsel and 2 gold stripe maroon clowns.

My questions are what other fish are safe to get with these current ones, and most of all....what soft corals can I get that will be safe? Also are clowns with anemone's safe? If so which ones?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Pelado

Pelado Montipora Digitata

Triggers are not reefsafe. Period. I had one and he destroyed my corals.. but other opinions please!!!

4. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

I'm with Pelado, I don't think any coral you would put in would be safe. It's possible though. Might have to try something small and cheap and see how they react. How big is your tank?

5. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Its a 135 gallon with Live Rock now.

I wanted to trade them to LFS, but my wife and daughter are attached to them. I really want to go corals with other fish, but my daughters eyes welled up with tears when I suggested bringing them in for a trade.

Man...this is a tough one...!!!

6. Mr.Ace

Mr.Ace Flamingo Tongue

.....Looks like you're starting a new Trigger only tank for your daughter lol.

7. Pelado

;D .... maybe that's the perfect solution... get another tank!!!

8. Click Here!

9. Pelado

Well... I meant to say... a second one!! I loved my Trigger too but no way with corals!! So, I ended up trading him in ...

10. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

Thats a lot to jump into right now....2 tanks....but I am going to have to think about it....or just keep Fish Only in this one.

What other fish are safe to get?

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

wrong.

Some triggers are reef safe, and I personally have had certain ones in a reef with great success. pinktail, sargassum, blue jaw, crosshatch, and sometimes niger triggers do great in reef tanks. Its not the corals you need to worry about so much, its the smaller fish and shrimps that you need to keep an eye on.

With that being said, with your current load in a 135, I would only try zoanthids, mushrooms, and leathers depending on how you are setup for lighting.

~Will.

12. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

yeah some people do report having triggers in reefs with no problems. I kept a niger trigger for a while, although he didnt touch my corals or shrimp, he did eat my snails.

I believe there is one trigger truely considered reef safe! Thats the blue jaw, in the wild they are planktivores