Reef Mimicry

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cira050, Jul 18, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

For those of you who have read my "o crap a crack!" thread i wanted to say something about that. If i do have to tear my tank down, i am not going to buy another cadlight. I am going to buy a 20 gallon long (or the shallowest but longest tank there is) and try to actually mimic the ocean reef as much as possible. No, not fish swimming in front of a wall of rock like in most fish tanks (no disrespect at all), but instead fish swimming above the rock and above all the corals. If you guys can visualize what im saying, i think it would be an awsome idea. So many people now are posting pictures of their diving experiences so that inspired me. the picture i posted is kinda what i am thinking of (use your imagination, if you will). But with more arches and stuff at the bottom. Tell me what you think!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. dees reef

dees reef Feather Duster

Awesome! I'd love to see it, please post pic's if you do.

4. the fisherman

the fisherman Vlamingii Tang

I say go for it and like dees reef said post some pic's if you do

5. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

thanks for the compliments. you are the only 2 on this web site that thinks its a good idea! i think it would be awsome and i will definately post some pics if i continue with this idea. im kinda upset that there was no karma giving because im at 998. 2 more and im at 1000!!! JK not trying to be snotty asking for karma or anything ;D

1 person likes this.
  6. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

nice pics!! would think it might be hard going to have a sea turtle and a reef shark ....LOL

7. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

HAHA i would think so... especially a 20 gallon! Anyways, i might not go with a 20 gallon long and just go with a custom tank. Something really really shallow but really long

8. Click Here!

9. jhawkor

jhawkor Millepora

Cool idea but it might be tough in only a 20 long.

10. ktz216

ktz216 Flamingo Tongue

I think that would be pretty cool. Maybe I can drop by and check it out once you're done. I live in Cleveland as well.

11. z.vernon

z.vernon Bristle Worm

that exactly what im going to do with my 33 long... you should look into a 33 long if youre looking for long and shallow., they are the same footprint as a 55 gallon (48L X 13 W X 13 H)

12. dirtydavenkc

dirtydavenkc Purple Spiny Lobster

sounds like a great idea to me. my tank is 6 feet wide and at one time was just fish swimming in front of a wall, but last week i dropped one half of the wall down and now i have a wall and a drop off, both ends curving to the front so i have little coves in each back corner you can only see from the side. sorry about all the trouble you've been thru with this. im sure everything will be looking up soon.