pricing differences

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by stylaster, Dec 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

Hey all
    I found this kinda interesting. As an example i just purchased the oregon blue tort 2" frag for 25.00. This is the original tort from upscales in portland oregon. Then i found it listed on line for a lot more. On the other hand 'exotic corals' that are from different parts of the country tend to cost less if that is where they originate from. Must be a supply and demand thing. Interesting though, also went back to pricing on some corals i had back in the 1990s i purchased 'what is now called an acan' colony for about 30.00 because no one was interested in it back then (nice pink/orange with blue centers still have it actually) , amazing how a fad can up the price on things

Roy

2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

That happens with a lot of things. I remember back when you couldnt give ricordea's away and a lot of people didnt want zoanthids. Now they are both indemand.

4. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

ya i remember that, i had some zoos that where bright neon orange with neon green around the mouth, couldnt give them away, now they have some fancy name for it (dragon eye or something) which irritates me with the crazy names people come up with corals, just call it an orange zoo... sheesh Things sure have changed in this hobby, but it is still a lot of fun!

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Pays much to shop around. --- But remember, it is important to keep that good local LFS in business. ;)

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

that LFS is usually a lot higher then most places, 9 times out of 10 will give incorrect information or seriously out dated information. Or atleast all the ones Ive been too in several states.

7. Area 51 Exotics

Area 51 Exotics 3reef Sponsor

Naming the corals makes it much easier for identification purposes. Here are 3 different micromussa morphs:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you asked for the "Pink, Green & Purple" one, which should I send you?

;)

8. Click Here!

9. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

Ill just take them all :) but ya i know what your talking about, just some of the names are down right goofy! hehe

10. jasno999

jasno999 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I agree on LFS. SOem are good some suck. But the one thing that is starting to be more consistent is they are all over-charging. I can't beleive when they are askign 30-60 bucks for Xenia.... I just htink the things that grow liek weeds should be cheap and then have a few of the slow growers and a few centerpieces that are expensive.

11. Jamaica_sun

Jamaica_sun Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

My suggestion for those with crappy LFS is to maybe work there P/T. Share your knowledge for the hobby with others if you are able. Do what you love, and be able to educate others.
    There is the same thing everywhere.... One or two guys that are well versed in the topic of marine life, compatability, etc... and 5 pimple face kids working to pay for their gas and insurance. Be one of the guys (or gal's of course) that people only visit the store when you are working. Myself, I always deal with the same couple of guys, they happen to be the owners.

If they are overcharging, it is because they have to. Tey sometimes keep the creatures for weeks on end, and guarantee their life for a period after the purchase (water test pending of course). I am fine with paying a little extra and getting to shop around and look at their tanks and get ideas.

Also, I used to own a pet store (no fish, I never knew enough about it as you can tell from my posts), and it is a rough business. We can all agree that they are overpriced, and sometimes under staffed (as far as knowledge goes)... but where would this hobby be with out them?

12. superclouds

superclouds Flamingo Tongue

My LFS is at least 9 to 10 times more expensive then any other I have been to, plus their information is next null and they are suppose to specailize in salt water, least thats what they claim. $160 for a yellow tang, give me a break or $4lb for purple spray painted normal everyday found in the yard rock!!!?? I'm forced to order online and hope for the best.