Powerhead placement in a 125g tank

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by BKL911TT, Mar 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BKL911TT

BKL911TT Plankton

Hey everyone, I just signed up on this site and it is quite a plethora of useful information. I am new to saltwater tanks, but have had freshwater for over 25 years.
    My tank is a drilled 125g with dual overflows with a 20g sump housing a Kent Nautilus skimmer and have about 160-175lbs of live rock.

My question is I have 3 Maxijet 900's and want to know the ideal position to place them in my 125 gallon tank. Currently have one in the middle facing forward and the other two next to the overflows, but they are flowing to the right of the tank and the other to the left. I know I have some dead spots since I am getting some cyano on the crushed coral.

I tried a search on here, but could not find info for placement on a 125. Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Im not sure your problem is where the PH are pointing at, but do you have enough PH?

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

To get the most flow and movement out of your powerheads, it is best to position you powerheads so that they are facing the glass to distribute the water flow more evenly to a larger part of your tank!
    You really can't have enough water movement, just be sure as to not position your powerheads to flow directly on a particular coral or you run the risk of injuring your coral through tissue damage or decreased polyp expansion and extension.
    Different corals require different water flow intensities, so it is best to research the corals you desire and adjust the flow accordingly!
    Best of luck and welcome to 3reef!

5. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I think you need more than 3 x 900's for that size tank.

6. BKL911TT

BKL911TT Plankton

Thanks everyone, I guess I just don't have enough flow in there. Should I do the Maxi-Jet mod, or just get some new Hydor's for increased flow. I am thinking of adding maybe two (or moving two) to the far upper back corners and having them face diagonally towards the front center. Would that be ideal for more flow?