paly toxin = slight facial numbness

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ibefishy, Jan 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ibefishy

ibefishy Montipora Capricornis

While cleaning the front of my tank earlier I accidently mashed some palys with my hand. I have heard that they are toxic but never experienced any bad effects from them before. This time I hit them pretty hard with my right hand which has a few open cuts on it and now I am experiencing some facial numbness around my lips. My lips feel swollen like I have been punched in the face. No pain just numb. I also have a very coppery taste in my mouth like I have been sucking on a penny. I took a look in the mirror and really cant see much of anything so there is no cool picture to post and I would say you all dont want to see my ugly mug anyway. As I am not having any "serious" complications at this time I am still finding the whole situation somewhat funny. I know if anything else were to manifest itself in a physical way things could change for the worst. Just wanted to share with you.

2. Click Here!

3. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

oh wow.....please keep an eye on things - if you live alone, make sure a relative or friend knows what happened - even if they have to write it down - in the event you have to be taken to the ER. I have read about cases where someone didnt get super bad symptoms til much later on / after they went to bed.

be careful and i hope the best for you.

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

From everything I've read I wouldn't freak out, lots of people seem to get that from time to time with palys/zoos. I personally would start using gloves though even though they're a pain.
    I don't believe it is palytoxin, or at least not a good dose of it, because it's lethal in minutes AFAIK, or at least you wouldn't be typing there if you had received a problematic dose.
    I would just keep an eye out for new developments but I'm sure you'll be fine unless you somehow have an allergic reaction at this point.

Here's a thread that might make you feel better.
    http://www.3reef.com/forums/general-reef-topics/dangers-home-reefs-30868.html

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Now I know what to do to my kids when they misbehave.;D thanks for the idea.

luna

6. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Geez be careful!! Watch yourself closely and go to the ER if you need to!

7. ibefishy

I dont think I got a "lethal" dose just enough to make me pay attention next time I stick my hand in the tank. My wife will be home in a few minutes and then I..........ugh *sigh* (last breath)

8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Gosh, that's not really funny!! Just be careful! Now I'm going to worry about you. Make sure to post something tomorrow so we all know you are okay!

10. ibefishy

I am not too worried otherwise I would be taking it more seriously. Really my wife will be home in a few minutes, generally around 4:30 and I will let her know. Although I know what she is going to say....."I told you to wear gloves, you are always sticking your hand in there that'll teach you."

11. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

that sounds more like my mom..

its like they tell you so many times to do something THIS WAY.......................or ELSE... ::)

and that ELSE::)
    always ends up happening because of that. THEY jinx us!!!:eek:

12. Puffer Chick

Puffer Chick Giant Squid

oh man, not good, hope you get better