New tank woes

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by szrazzt, Dec 25, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. szrazzt

szrazzt Purple Spiny Lobster

Well I was setting my tank up today and noticed that the top brace on the 55 gallon tank was cracked. This is a used tank and I had noticed zip ties keeping the two pieces together when it was brought over but hadnt thought anything about it.

I filled the tank up and noticed a gap in the center brace and also noticed that the front and back of the tank were bowed out. Its only bowed out about 3/16 ths of an inch so its not a huge bow but very concerning as I dont really want that much water on my hardwood floors.

I drained half the water and added a 5 inch wide acrylic brace to the middle. I glued it and bolted it in place and after waiting a few hours for it to dry it does appear to be successfull. I'm still a bit concerned and wanted to know if anyone else had repaired a tank like this. I have seen other posts on google and apparently this isnt exactly uncommon.

Szrazzt

2. Click Here!

3. szrazzt

I should probably have titled this thread "The Woes of Getting Used Equipment"

4. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a decent fix to me..... Any pics of the repair job?

5. szrazzt

Here are a couple of the repair job.

[​IMG]

and one a bit farther away

[​IMG]

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Have to be very careful with purchasing or receiving used equipment!
    Should work fine...
    Good luck!

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I've seen new plastic top pieces for sale at my LFS. Would have to cut away all of the sealent to replace the top piece though. Looks like your fix should work. I think all tanks bow a little. I had a 55 that bowed by 1/8 or so at the bottom and was always worried about it.

8. Click Here!

9. szrazzt

i will get a replacement top rim for it but at least for now I wont splash to the coffee maker in the morning. Thanks for the replys