new tank questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by target001, Feb 6, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

ok so i have my new 300 litre tank setup and ready to go with out any live rock or anything in it all lvls are fine

my questions are:
    1. can i get away with moving all my good current lifestock including rock into new tank and use the old tank to cycle my new live rock when it comes in?

2. can i cycle the new live rock in my old tank and then move it into my new tank?

3. should i move all my live rock into new tank and leave it for 2 weeks or so before adding fish and corals?

thnx in advance

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Move current LR and water and you should be good to go...unless LR still cycling in present tank.

4. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

+2 ;D

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

switch your water and rock/sand with little detrimental consequences. Go for it!

6. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

thnx guys i switched the rocks over i have new sand and water for this setup

i was using tap water in my old setup and found that my taps were full of corosion which i believe screwed my old tank right up
    so the new tank is running on bottled water only since the beaches here are way to salty =\

just after i placed all my rocks in tank and sorted out all the gagets in the sump i noticed 1 of the side panes of glass was no longer flush with the front so im now waiting for them to arrive to have a look before i go any further

i plan on leaving my old tank with a filter running so i can buy a box of live rock and cycle it in therethen it will be moved over to my new tank and the old tank will be pulled right down and put away somewhere

7. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

basically when cycling rock all your doing is getting it used to the amount of tank water instead of the entire oceans water. once the rock is used to the small amount of water, as long as both tanks have similar parameters and equipment there shouldnt be a problem