Nano tank Phase One

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Reefguy, Apr 12, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

Well here is my nano tank in progress Day 2
    Features: Fiji and TBS rock, DSB, 3 types of macro, hermits, 1 snail, 18watt 50/50 lighting, 100 GPH pump and a spot next to my computer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Looks pretty good. How are you heating that bad boy? What are you planning on keeping in it?

PS. Your sandbed is only a DSB if the sand is 4" or deeper :)

4. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

ha well i figured since it was a nano 1 1/2-2 would qialify as a nano DSB. Well so far there is no need for a heater. Temp drops to 73 at night and during the day 76. I figure i would drop in some xenia zoos, polpys and some shrooms from my main tank. Any suggestions on inverbrates? I have seen some brittle stars in there from the LR, i was thinking its too small for a seacucumber. So I might stick a goby in there to mix the sand around. Here is a updated pic

Attached Files:

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Looks good Reef Guy,
    Do you have a filter or plans for a Skimmer?
    I had a nano for a bit, I found my 75G way easier to manage.

Good Luck and keep the pics coming

J

6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have a 3 inch bed in my fuge and so far, zero nitrates.

My LFS runs a skimmerless tank with Miracle Mud hangon system and it looks better than my tank! LOL!

Perhaps you could replace the bed with mud? They only require a one inch deep bed. If I do a nano, that is what I am going to try :D

How about a goby and shrimp goby pair? If you can find one!

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh, and it looks great! BTW! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

I have heard about that crazy mud talk, it may be better but i prefer sand...maybe because i think of it as "cleaner". As far as the nano I dont plan on any filtration other than LR,LS and macro with 1 week water changes. Ill slowly start taking coral that i dont like
    from my main tank and see how they do in the nano. Its nice to have a tank right on the side of my computer that I can look at all the time. Btw birdlady are you refering to a watchman goby and a shrimp for him? I have one in my main tank ....the prob is getting him out. I have tried many times, even bribin him with food doesnt seem to work
    [quote author=birdlady link=board=General;num=1113330962;start=0#4 date=04/13/05 at 00:56:53]I have a 3 inch bed in my fuge and so far, zero nitrates.

My LFS runs a skimmerless tank with Miracle Mud hangon system and it looks better than my tank!  LOL!

Perhaps you could replace the bed with mud?  They only require a one inch deep bed.  If I do a nano, that is what I am going to try :D

How about a goby and shrimp goby pair?  If you can find one![/quote]

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=Reef Guy link=board=General;num=1113330962;start=0#2 date=04/12/05 at 18:08:12]Any suggestions on inverbrates?[/quote]
    How about a mantis shrimp :)

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Hey Reefguy! Good luck catching any fish in a LR tank! LOL! I had to get rid of one of mine and pretty much had to pull all of the LR to get it!

Watchman gobies are cool, there are also

Yasha Hase Shrimp Goby - Stonogobiops yasha
    which is red and white and there is a red and white striped pistol shrimp as well...(my personal fave)

Hi finned gobies are cool as well :)
    Check around the net, there are some really cool looking pairs you could get ;D

12. Reefguy

Reefguy Guest

well when you have 100+ Lbs of LR in a 30 gal i dont think takin them out is an option :/ others have told me to get a pistol shrimp to lure him out...hmm that will be interesting. I think ima head on down to my lfs and see if i can find one