My fishes dead one by one .. what is the problem ?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by minajaguar, Jun 26, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. minajaguar

minajaguar Spaghetti Worm

my fishes had Ich .. but they were eating well and some day they infected with fungus and all dead now what to do while my parameters are well ..
    i put photos for my tank all equipments if something wrong tell me and how long i have to stay before adding new fishes ..??
    ( Picture : internal filter contain carbon +ceramic rings ... no fiber and air stone skimmer 30 gallon tank 28 C temperature 1.022 salinity)

also i want ask about keeping carbon in that internal filter is it ok ????
    thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Bring up your salinity for starters. How long has your tank been setup? Longer than your join date, I hope. How many fish have succumbed to ich?

What's you ammonia, nitrate and nitrite #s?

4. minajaguar

bring salinity to what ??
    my ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10-20
    6-8 weeks tank

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

1.025-1.026. Your tank is extremely young. What fish and how many did u add? what size tank?

6. minajaguar

whay 1.025 can't it be 1.023 ???
    30 gallon tank
    was have 2 clowns + butterfly + young tang and its the 1st infected fish with ich ....
    " does low salinity prevent ich than high salinity "

7. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Did you add them all at once? No tang should be in a 30 gallon tank and neither should the butterfly. Stress likely induced your ich issue because of the size of your tank.

Hyposalinity can be an ich treatment, but putting a fish in low salinity without proper acclimation can stress them out.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

whats your water volume and yes, what fish did you add and how did you add them? 6 weeks is indeed a very young tank. i pray you did research on the fish you were buying as opposed to simply trusting your LFS.

now this is my personal opinion but i believe a tank can have ich in it and the fish can live in balance with it without ever getting it (keep in mind i have "hardy" fish). Ich is a parasite that attacks fish whos immunity has been weakened.

keeping this in mind you need to find out what the core of the problem was, so as to avoid making the same mistake again.

this is why we need to know what fish in what volume, if you added a large bioload all of a sudden to your freshly cycled tank, you probably went through a mini-cycle that weakened the fish and allowed them to get infected.

you may have added fish that were incompatible together, was there fighting going on in your tank? inadequate swimming space and or territorial disputes will lead to stress for the fish.

food is very important to combat ich. though there is no proof (as far as i know) that garlic helps fight off ich i stil add it to the fresh fish mix i make for them. if you were feeding your animals just fish flakes i would do some research in home made saltwater fish foods.

infact my first set up got infected by ich when i stopped feeding crappy fish flakes and started giving them a balanced diet the ich vanished in a matter of weeks, iv even moved my fish to a larger set up (so stress) and i have not seen ich in the past 6 months. again this does not mean that the parasite is not present, it lives in your substrate it simply means that my fishes immunity system is strong enough to fight it off.

if you really want to be sure not reintroduce ich you need to do the following.

get a QT and use it for every fish you ever buy from here on

leave your DT fishless (including invertebrates) for about 2 months, 2 months and a half. this will insure that since the parasite cannot obtain a host it will not be able to go through its reproductive cycle and die, but this takes time.

research, research, research!!!!

1 person likes this.
  10. Swisswiss

normal that the tang was the first to get infected. what tang was it? the minimum for a yellow tang (one that can be kept in the smallest volume) is 55-60 gallons.

butterflies and tangs have no place in a 30 gallons

11. minajaguar

also i want ask about keeping carbon in that internal filter is it ok ????

12. Swisswiss

dont use carbon cant help you with this.