ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2010, 02:07 PM
Scooter Blennie

Skin: Classic
Travis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery
Default Moving livestock from tank to tank. Need advice

I might in the next week be pulling everything out of my 80 gallon bowfront and moving it to a 75 gallon rectangular tank. My reasoning for this are a few things. First thing is I'm in earthquake country here in Southern California. The shape of my tank and stand makes it very top heavy and I am seriously scared of that thing rocking over.The shape of the stand is shaped like the tank so there is not much stand under this beast. I've also read the horror stories about bowfront tanks just blowing out due to the design. I did already patch a small leak on the back seam where the back wall is attached to the side. I can visually see about a 6 inch area on that seam where it looks like the adhesive is letting lose. The last reason for moving would be aquarium space. I would lose three inches of height which I could care less, just puts my T5s closer to my coral. The thing about the bowfront is it really limits your aquascaping. You really have one nice wide area to work with and the overflow located in the middle of the tank is a pain to work around. The new tank is a standard 75 acrylic with stand and canopy. I just need to make sure my sump fits in the stand before I make the purchase. Let me know if you think this is worth it. I know I won't lose any coral but I might lose a fish or two which has my girlfriend worried.

Travis
Travis45 is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
3reef Moderator

Skin: Dark
2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute2in10 has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

It sounds like a good idea since the 80 seems to be coming apart.
2in10 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-01-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Scooter Blennie

Travis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond reputeTravis45 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2in10 View Post
It sounds like a good idea since the 80 seems to be coming apart.
Yeah thats what I was thinking. Heres a pic of the part of the tank that scares me. The thing in the corner covered in coraline is a corner patch piece that the tank manufacturer sent me to glue on. You can see the clouded area on the blue where the bond is starting to loosen up.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c325/tdawg45/DSCF0076.jpg
Old 05-02-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
3reef Moderator

steve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond reputesteve wright has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 

gallery

How to's for moving a aquarium or transferring to a bigger one!!

hey Travis

good luck with the transfer - this article is full of very helpful advice on transfers and upgrades

Steve
steve wright is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 05-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #5
Scooter Blennie

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve wright View Post
How to's for moving a aquarium or transferring to a bigger one!!

hey Travis

good luck with the transfer - this article is full of very helpful advice on transfers and upgrades

Steve
Thanks Steve

Click Here!