Missing bow front canopy and stand build thread.

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by banthonyb71, Apr 17, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

I am going to attempt to build a stand and canopy for a 72 bowfront from scratch, however there are not many DIY plans on the canopy that I like.

There is 1 build thread....but I dont remember where I found it. As it was well over a year ago.

If anyone has seen this thread with pics (possibly i may have seen it on a diffirent forum)

The build is awesome. It was a 46 bow front however not a 72. It had a stand and matching canopy, that I believe where stained or possibbly painted.

The design had 1x2's vertically across the front of the stand and matched canopy. (It is not the build with the guy and his mom who use plywood for canopy and paint it black.

The thread had multiple pictures and was shown setup with canopy. You will know the build if your where to come across it. It was the closest thing to a manufacturer quality canopy for a bowfront that ive seen.

I dont mean to have anyone searching and spendin there time. However if you may have seen this build or remember seeing it please let me know. Thanks so much

2. Click Here!

3. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I do remember I will look around and let u know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Last edited: Apr 18, 2011
  6. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

Hey Seano, thanksfor looking it up however this is not the build.

The one im looking for the canopy uses mainly softwood with 1x2s vertically across as oppose to ply used in this build by triple mom.

(I believe the allglass brand stands are the ones made like this, however they are over priced IMO for the bowfronts and also I dont believe that they make the canopys for them. I was just wanting to try making it myself just for the experience as well as to save a few bucks:)

7. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

This is not the same but it is similar in design as far as what I mean by the 1bys[​IMG]

8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Hmm...I'm not sure what the benefit would be of doing it that way, over the front being all one curved piece. I think Jwin used 1/8" ply. When you use a band clamp(to hold until glue is dry), it will bend very easily.

10. banthonyb71

banthonyb71 Millepora

hi Seano. The benifit would be that the stand matched the canopy. I dont think all glass makes a plywood stand for bowfronts. If worse came to worse I could buy the stand plus although the example I gave is not as nice as the thread i seek, the thread the person built both and stained and looks great. I like jtwins but personally not the look im looking for.
    But thank you Seano for your help.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011