Layer of Film, Scum

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ReefSparky, Dec 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

[​IMG]I've had this layer of scum before. Last time the duration was about 6 days. It went away on its own. This time it's been over 10 days, and shows no signs of abatement. From what I've read, it's not uncommon, but it's unsightly. My protein skimmer is working as it usually does, with the main chamber being chock-full of bubbles.

My overflow boxes in the tank receive this film, but it doesn't make it into the UTubes; so it seems to stay on the surface. [​IMG]

Does anyone know how to rid a tank of this? Is there a quick certain method, or is it a "wait it out" sort of issue?

Happy Holidays, all!!!

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ummm, don't know how your overflow works...but it is vented (slots) make sure they are not clogged with algae. -- water may be getting thru...scum not. :-/

4. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

From what I can see in you picture it looks to me like you water level is to high. If it is to high when it goes through the teeth there is no turbulence created which is how that stuff gets mixed into the water and drawn away from your tank.

[​IMG]

If it can be adjusted move it up lower the amount of water going through the teeth which will create a water fall effect or turbulence and it should clear that scum put in a matter of hours.

Just my 2 cent's, it works in my tank.

5. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

sounds about right Gazog and if that doesnt work I would start to look at breaking the surface tention of your water as it looks to be very still this will help with gas exchange aswell ie a power head pointed up to the surface

6. mandarin11

mandarin11 Peppermint Shrimp

Can your return pump dump out onto the water to create a little turbulence to churn up the top a little?

7. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

thanks all. I'll point my return up at the surface.