Inaccurate temp. gauges

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by vankirk, Mar 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vankirk

vankirk Sea Dragon

I've been using 2 small digital themometers for almost 2 years. They've never read the same temp. always off by 1.5 deg. from each other. So I would take the average of them. About a year ago I got a hand held TDS meter that would measure temp in Celsius and it showed my temp to be 1-2 degrees higher than small thermometers. I never knew what was right until I added my controller, it reads the exact same as the TDS meter. It's no big deal but, I just thought I would share what I found. The pictures were taking from in my sump at the same time for comparisons.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Those digital ones can be farther off then a couple of degrees F, sometimes even a couple degrees C.

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Those coralife ones in your middle picture are complete junk. I have two sitting on my counter. One reads around 50degF and the other in the 60s. This is when my thermostat is set to 70 deg F. I don't know how accurate my thermostat is, but at that point it feels warm in a short sleeve shirt, so I don't think it's in the 50s or 60s ;) I had two tanks set up at the time and got one for each. I quickly learned they were not trustworthy, hence being on the counter. Don't know why stuff made for aquariums is such junk...

I've since switched to those $2 suction cup ones, they are at least accurate to a degree or two and then I also have a digital thermometers on my Finnex titanium heaters, that seems fairly accurate. And a thermometer on my DA controller. Usually the 3 sources are withing a degree or two, but I don't trust anything made for aquariums enough to trust just one source.... It's just an unfortunate and probably unnecessary reality I guess.