I have $89.02 + tips

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by cuttingras, Dec 23, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

I got my first pay check. $89.02, plus I have $34.00 from tips. What should I buy to get rid of the algae and stop killing my snails?

2. Click Here!

3. Reefdiver72

Reefdiver72 Feather Duster

turn off your lights for a few days and check your ammonia levels about the snails also what type of snails? what do you have for filtration do you have a good skimmer and what size is your tank? I have had those problems but I am not sure without knowing some stuff for tha snails to be dieing that sounds like copper.what type water you using?

4. cuttingras

55 gal. Probably 150-180 lbs of live rock, all from various places. 1 1/2 bags of Live sand. I use Instant ocean salt.

All my levels have been perfect, SG 1.026-8, pH 8.3, Nitrates 0, Nitrites 0, Ammonia <0.003, MG 1200(finally), Calcium 480, KH 19-20. I average them. One day it's different from the next. Not too big +/-'s. N,N Amm,pH, are always the same.

I use 6 stage ro/di and just changed all of the filters yesterday. I have an emperor 400 and an AquaC Remora. I keep my temp at 77F. I use 2 CupriSorb bags in two kneehigh's into each empty space in the Emperor along with the carbon/blue (filter material) filters. I use PhosBan in another bag in a small filter, just it's size. Replaced both last month.

I am beginning to think it may be my rocks. I am going to Lowe's this afternoon and getting Portland Cement and sand so I can make my own rock and start over with another tank. Keeping my livestock. I would need a QT tank for a couple of weeks, so I've put an AD on Craig's List and have gotten 2 replies. Neither has panned out yet. I ask about what kind of meds were previously used and what kind of tank is it. I'm not taking anything other than a 75Gal or up. That way chances are it was used as a saltwater tank. Can what I have survive in a 20 gallon tank for 6-8 weeks?

I do understand about the copper and phosphates. I realize that is what I have. I don't need to test for it, because it's apparent that is what I have. Now I need to figure out from where...:cheesy:

The plumbing in my house is all new pvc. I have a ground probe also.
    Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! I'm about to sell it all.:(

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  5. trying it again

trying it again Fire Shrimp

Maybe some Emeril crabs BAMM

I have four of them (Emeralds)and they do a fairly good job , and so far havn,t bothererd anything else.
    Plus they arn,t too expensive.
    Some place said acclimation time is critical for snails , the longer the better or they will die a few weeks after you put them in. If I find that info again I,ll post.
    Good Luck

The site I saw was more indepth but this covers a little http://www.aquacon.com/chat.htmlsomehttp://www.aquacon.com/chat.html

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What is the question?
    What should you buy in general?
    What will live for 6-8 weeks?
    I am confused. :/

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Check and make sure your pump is rated for SW, if it is a pond pump it may have brass or copper bearings. Omard will fill you in on that one. If you have copper then you should be running CupriSorb to get rid of it.

8. Click Here!

9. cuttingras

Matt, my question is what should I buy to get rid of the algae. I have no copper anywhere near the tank. I bought these snails back in say June(?) and they've all been doing great until the beginning of Dec and slowly I see them dead. I use ro/di. I'm at a loss as to what to do now.

Trying...I've had Emerald crabs and they usually don't last longer than a week in my tank.

Otty, I use CupriSorb, I have 2 bags of it in my filter.

10. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Has it changed colors? If so then it is all used up and you need to reacharge it with acid or buy new.

11. cuttingras

Otty, No it hasn't changed colors.. I changed it about a month ago. The old stuff didn't change colors either, I just figured it had been in there long enough and to give it another try but with two bags.

That is another reason why I'm starting to think it's my rock. I bought the Portland cement and argonite sand today, so tomorrow after I'm all done baking, I'm going to start making some live rock. When it's about 6 weeks and after checking pH and ammonia I will add something like GARF grunge to get some coralline growing on it. Then as that's setting up, I'll put my livestock into qt and do a new tank. All this depends on how many hours I get and how many tips I make. :)

12. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

What kind of algae are we talking about?
    How old are you light bulbs?
    How many times a week do you feed your fish?
    Are you using that pickling lime that you mentioned in the other thread?
    Oh, and Merry Christmas! :)