ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Torch Coral

Skin: Mint
RAVEN has a spectacular aura aboutRAVEN has a spectacular aura aboutRAVEN has a spectacular aura about

gallery
Default How to set up a QT tank!

With a recent post about ich I thought I would repost what you need for a QT tank

-10-20g tank. I prefer 10g tank myself, easier to do water changes.
-small heater
-air pump and in tank box filter or small HOT power filter
-Cheap light, incandescent or Flor.
-Top for tank to keep jumpers in.
-a piece or 2 of PVC pipe for cover for the fish.
-Some type of ammonia and nitrite neutralizer llike Kordons or sea chems products.

Your looking at about $30-40 worth of equipment.

You will need to do water changes every 1-2 days to keep ammonia down.
I usually set up the tank 1-2 days before I buy the fish. I usually take water from my main tank and mix it 50-50 with new water.

-You should also consider a FW dip with your new fish. I have never lost a fish due to a 3-5min FW dip.
-To do the dip you want a good size container. I use a very large measuring cup 8 cups or larger.
-You need to adjust the pH with baking soda and adjust the temp. I use the microwave for this.
-you will want to aerate the water for 15-20 min with an air stone.
-I also add some SW from my tank to make it a 90%FW and 10SW solution.
-You may want to add several drops of methylene blue to the water to make it a nice deep blue color. This will help calm the fish and is antifugal.
-place the fish in the water for 3-5minutes. Don't worry, the fish may lay on its side and breathe heavy. Tangs tend to do this.
-after elapsed time, place the fish in your QT tank and leave the lights off for several hours
-as a side note, your should make sure that the fish you purchase from the store is eating and well fed and preferably has eaten the day you take it home because it may not eat for a few days.

I hope this helps a few people. I know some of your will disagree on FW dips but its a tried and true way of ridding your fish and corals of some parasites.
RAVEN is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 01-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
lunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond reputelunatik_69 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 
protector 
3link 
gallery

Good thread Raven. I've never had a QT tank or have used one. I guess I've been really lucky. Kudos to you.
lunatik_69 is offline   Reply With Quote Top