Homemade Mush!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by schackmel, Dec 19, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

It is official...my fish now really do eat better then me! I went out today and got supplies to feed my golden puffer from the grocery store and the bill was $64.00 :eek: Now granted it is going to last me a lot longer then the blocks that I spend $19 on but still........

I went to grocery store and bought scallops, maui maui, cod, raw shrimp, squid, clams......I then added silversides into the mixture and ground it all up. (I first soaked it all in RO/DI water to leach out the phosphates) Once it was all ground up I added selco, vit c and garlic elixer. I placed it all in a ziplock bag, added saltwater from tank (little bit) and froze it.

Does this sound ok? This is my first experience making my own food. I ground it a little more then I think he will like, as he is a biggie and likes chunks but I think there is enough chunks there

I also found some fresh clams in the whole shell....does anybody know if he will break the shells open for that...I am trying to find foods to keep his beak wore down.

And for dinner tonight I had grilled cheese...not fair!

2. Click Here!

3. JohnnyBoy

JohnnyBoy Purple Spiny Lobster

Sounds yummy! Let us know if he digs in!

4. suckafish

suckafish Montipora Capricornis

wow i am jeoulous, to think i ate taco bell last night:skull:

5. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

wow! can i come live in your aquarium?! that's one heck of a bill :eek:

6. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

You can call that emergency food! If the economy keeps getting worse then you got some reserves ;D.

7. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

:laughing0

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

The clams/scallops should be left in the shell. Some people will break the shell and leave the meat in one half of the shell and let the puffer crunch on that.
    In my expierence with puffer of all kinds, they will NOT eat food that is too small unless they are starving, they prefer big chunks. Also big chunks will help you not overfeed, as the small stuff will end up getting sucked into the filtration or getting lost somewhere in the tank.

Otherwise it is a great start, use it as a reference for the next batch!!

Happy reefing!

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That sounds excellent. I'm glad that you mentioned that you pointed out that you soaked the ingredients in RO/DI water to leach off the polyphosphate salts. Many people think that only fresh seafood has been sprayed/soaked with polyphosphate salts. That's not true. Frozen seafood will have been sprayed with them too....even seafood from organic grocery stores. Unfortunately, they are legally allowed to list it on the ingredients as just salt.

I'm also glad that you added additional HUFA's and Vitamins. This is something that I think all hobbyists should do.