Heater Failure

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Blue Falcon, Sep 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

This morning I wake up to check on my babies. And my stomach drops. Temperature reads 74 degrees F. My heater went out. There's an extra heater in there now and temp is back to 78. Corals are coming out and look normal. But I haven't seen my fish or shrimp yet. The lights are still off. I never thought it would happen to me but I'm glad it did. Because I learned my lesson. Better it happened in my 10 gallon and not my 65 G. Now I know to return my 400W heater and get 2 200W heaters before I set up my 65G.

While we are on the topic, what is the most reliable heater I can get for my 65G. And do they make any with digital thermostats or at least one that is REALLY accurate? Cause I hate trying to adjust the stiff cheap knob on top of a heater trying to get the temp right. Cause it's never what the heater says the temp should be.

Thanks guys.

2. Click Here!

3. ajd916

ajd916 Astrea Snail

i made adjustments to my heater over a long period of time before i finally got it right. i use a coralife digital thermometer that i bought for ten bucks. i use a marineland heater with excellent results.

1 person likes this.
  4. cira050

cira050 Torch Coral

be happy that you need a heater :) 90% of people are floating ice bags and investing in chillers instead ;D

5. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

That's true. A couple weeks ago I had to make a canopy with fans to cool my water.

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I'm using two Hydor heaters. When it's cool enough in the house and the heaters need to work they keep the temp at exactly 80. I'm very happy with them.

7. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

yup...2 heaters..I use a couple of STEALTH 250 watt...and as adj916 stated...it takes a while to tune 'em in...but after that ..its all good....during summer I set them a couple of degrees lower...winter a bit higher...just in case of a short term outage...I'm covered by a few degree buffer.
    Good luck...youur critters should be fine.
    LG

8. Click Here!

9. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I'm sure your critters will be fine, 74 isn't too major.

Heaters suck. I am lucky that my undersized heater never really needs to kick in, and before I get one that's a "proper" size for my tank, I will be getting a controller in the case of failure (usually they overheat the tank vs. die completely) that will shut down the outlet when the temp reaches a certain point.

10. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

And i haven't used a heater since early spring:) Between the skimmer pump and return in the sump,i use a calcium reactor.Temp drops to 77 at nite,and a fan blows across water surface when temp hits 81

11. Stevet86

Stevet86 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I reverted back to the floating thermometer. I went through two of those Coralife thermometers. The first was off by ten degrees to the hot side (took a while to catch that one) and the other just broke for no reason within the couple of weeks of getting it.

1 person likes this.
  12. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Ditto on that...No luck with 2 electronic units also...cant go wrong with the good ol' thermometers.
    K+
    LG