Full moon, affecting my tank?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by totter0817, Feb 21, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

I went into my LFS the either day and I started talking to one of the workers. He had mentioned that he believed that his shrimp all shed their skin right on time with the changing of the moon, half moon, full moon whatever. He made a good point that the moon does affect the tides, which in turn affect everything in the ocean. But do you think this is true for an in home aquarium, with man made flow and tide.

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

They have to molt to grow as they age.. They do it in any aquarium I ever had with or with out a moon. I myself use a ATT moon lite but not for what most do I use mine for a night room lite :) and I just started to use that last yr.. Never used one before.. But the shrimps kept molting right along.

4. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

I am not sure if the shrimp shed for that reason, however, any water is effected by the moon. Us as humans with our makeup consisting of mostly water are certainly effected...8) We have a cleaner shrimp and a coral banded and they shed a few times a month...

5. totter0817

totter0817 Purple Spiny Lobster

My shrimp usually molt 1-2 times a month too, but I have never paid any attention to whether it was a full moon or not.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Most babies are born as are farm animals on or near to a full moon as do people act nuttier LOL ask a Cop about a full moon LOL Like mentioned we all are mostly water and , with some its just more solid then in others :)

7. snail

snail Astrea Snail

Also in agriculture with some seeds it is best to germinate them in rhythm with the moon.

8. Click Here!

9. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

LOL, you are so right Roger...

10. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

no moonlight every created is going to have a gravitational pull on your tank so your moonlights will never have the same effect as the moon.their a good way to view the tank at night though

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I think that is false. It may happen in the ocean but I dont think it happens in our "man made" ocean. Its a great story thou!;D

12. jbaker

jbaker Feather Duster

Like Tangster said, the full moon does affect people. Compare your local crime rates with the moon cycle, you'll see a rise in crime around the full moon. People do more stupid/wacky things during that time. Don't know about the fishes though.