feeding my reef system?!

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by italymanru, Mar 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. italymanru

italymanru Astrea Snail

hey everyone, I was just wondering for some food suggestions on what I should feed my live stock.

I have:

Hippo tang
    yellow tang
    orange spotted goby
    yellow watchman
    bi color blenny
    3 chromis
    false peculiar clown
    coral banded shrimp
    hermits
    snails
    peppermint shrimp

corals:
    star polyp
    clove polyp
    sand polyps
    mushrooms
    candy coral
    open brain

to be honest i feed the fish just pellets and the zooplankton to the corals with occasional brine shrimp to the all (i hatched my own for a while and bought some). Please give me some suggestion on what to mix, how to mix, store, how long it should last me and if it is expensive or moderately costly. Thanks A LOT! ::)

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I would offer both vegetable and proteinaceous foods to all your fish. Brine and Mysis shrimp soaked in vitamins is ideal along with seaweed to graze on through the course of the day for the Tangs.
    Clam, Squid, Cyclopeze and rotifers are good for your filter feeders and corals.
    Feed small amounts two to three times a day to reduce the chances of degrading your water quality.
    Many times we over feed our corals due to the fact that we either do not know that or forget that many corals are symbiotic(relying on zooxanthellae) for most of their nutrients, or they absorb nutrients from the water or capture small organisms in our tanks!
    Did you know that you could basically stir up some of your substrate, and the microscopic and very small organisms and detritus will be sufficient to feed most of your corals?

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Excepton rare ocassion and thats not happend in the last 5 months I never make a point to feed anything I'll toss in some formulia marine flakes and then have my pumps to stir up the sump to feed the corals .. ..Why add more waste to the system when you can let the filter feeders filter feed on marine snow .. Sump crud.. :) its a win win for me and I save money and time.. Every few month or so I will maybe toss in some cyclopze thats about it. A frozen type bar will last me over a yr or more..

5. italymanru

italymanru Astrea Snail

does it matter what color of seaweed i feed them? is there a best type/color?

6. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I found my fish did not like the "Red" stuff.

Stick to green...any kind of Nori will do from Asian food store...comes in all varieties. Some even shredded up for you.

Don't buy the pricey "fish food" seaweed...Is same stuff.

:-/