The Dry Shipment - Part 2

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by TinFury, Mar 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Wazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzup everyone. Some of you may remember I shipped some corals without water a while back and I posted pics and everything. Well that went so well I decided to grab some more corals, which are more sensative and try to transport them the same way. This time as well I've stepped it up. I'm transporting a clam as well.

I got all small frags... The yellow polyps aren't that small. I have about eight diffrent acan frags in this one as well. As well as some Orange Envy! ;) I got allot on the line.

This time I packed them all into a little break resistant 1 liter jar. They were being held in my friends tank until I flew up for them. I stopped at some stores and bought a few other corals. All these had to fit into the one liter jar so sizes had to be small. Each piece was wrapped in a hand towel, then wrapped in cotton, wet with water from the tank and then placed in the jar. I filled the jar half way with water from the tank as well but this was poured into a toilet before going thru airport security..... You know.... no liquids... ugg.... All this starts at 3PM on Sat.

Oh yea at the bottom of the container I dropped a tiny packet of activated carbon to soak up any toxins the babies released.

Here they are in my friends tank. At about 2PM I started to pack
    [​IMG]

Here are the acans waiting to be wrapped in tissue and cotton.
    [​IMG]

You can see here in the bottom of the jar I have a packet of rinsed activated carbon.
    [​IMG]

Everything was wrapped in a wet hand towel, then wet cotton, then put in a plastic bag that I puntured repeatedly to let the water and air flow thru.
    [​IMG]

Before going thru security, all the water is poured from the jar. All the tissue stays moist and bottle is sealed. It's important to mainting 100% humidy within the contaner. Do don't open it till your ready to drop them back in the water. As you can see on my watch it's now 9:30PM. For the first time ever. I've found a living amphiopod swimming in a drop of water. I must be getting things right.
    [​IMG]

10:30PM Safe at my destination airport.
    [​IMG]

11:30Pm
    Tension I'm about to open the jar.
    [​IMG]

In my quarantine tank. EVERYTHING is alive. LOOK AT THE CLAM!!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Acans at about 12PM They are already hungry!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

I was worried about three corals, that didn't ship well. The two polyps of Orange envy, the green star polyps, and the Clover corals.
    The Green stars took about 12 Hours but have now fully recovered. The clover corals have stared to open, so I'm not worried. The Orange envys don't look so great but I'm sure they will recover. I'll keep you posted.

"Stay tuned.... next post I'll try to transport shrimp without water."

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

that is awesome! I'm glad it worked for you and the critters! Going thru customs at the airport in the states wasn't a hassle? I know leaving from MB would be.

4. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Nice corals, great job man. Did customs tell you anything or give you a hassle as cuttingras mentioned? When I went on a cruise last year, we stopped at Honduras and I went to the beach side and I saw this hugh rock(4' x 3') by the shore filled with neon green Zoas. I almost busted out the hammer and chisel to frag a couple of pieces but didnt b/c I knew they wouldnt make it back and/or pass through customs. Good luck with your new additions. Luna

5. TinFury

TinFury Fire Shrimp

Well I didn't go thru US customs. You need to get a CITES permit for whatever country your going into. It's not hard to get. The hard part is to get the list of what your going to get if you don't know what your going to get.... lol...... It's hard because you can't just go into a store and buy something that you see, it has to be on the list.

6. ser_renely

ser_renely Bristle Worm