copepod frat house

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by julian solos, Feb 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. julian solos

julian solos Plankton

I'd like some input on this idea I've had to breed copepods for future mandarinfish consumption.

They need a protected place that fish can't get to so they can breed and keep their population up. The method I've read about entails a pile of live rock rubble in a corner of the tank for them to hide in.

Yesterday at Whal Mart, I saw these tiny little planter pots about half the size of a fist. What if I cracked the thing in two lengthwise, put some live rubble in it and stood it up against the side of the aquarium? The hole on top would give the copepods a place to get out, and the light coming in through the side would give them the light they needed. This way the fish could nip at them when they came out from the hole, but couldn't wipe out the entire population.

Would this work?

2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

thats the same thing a refugium does :D just that this one doesnt get to have macro algae in it

4. msbdiving

msbdiving Astrea Snail

Kinda of funny aquaboy. I had the thought of why don't you just get or make a hob refugium.