Chiller Stats

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ReefSparky, Jul 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

As this thread indicates, I've recently purchased a chiller and put it into action just last night. Now that some time has passed, I've been able to note the on/off times.

I know many folks here have chillers; and I'm curious to know if mine is performing as it should. I have a 90G tank with 700W of lighting (500W halides, 182W of PC actinics). I'm in Florida, which is known for its hot climate.

Following the direction of some web sites and "how to size a chiller" pages on the web, I purposely overdid it. The chiller is actually rated for about 360 gallons.

Anyway, here are the numbers. I'd greatly appreciate any input.

The chiller comes on at 79. After 12 minutes, the temp is 77.9 and it shuts off. At midday, when the halides are burning, the 77.9 temp lasts for 30-33 minutes. That's the cycle.

I actually sat with a stopwatch for a few hours watching TV and took note of on/off times. Here's today's scenario:

The chiller came on at:
    11:45-11:58--total time on 13 min's
    12:31-12:42--total time on 11 min's
    1:13-1:24----total time on 11 min's
    1:54-2:05----total time on 11 min's
    2:35-2:46----total time on 13 min's

This makes for a grand total of 59 min's on. Let's call it an hour.

I did the math, and during the 3 hours noted above, it was off for 2 hours.

That means the chiller is running 33% of the time, or 20 min's per hour. 20 min's an hour is an average. As you see, it comes on after about 30 minutes of being off. When it comes on, it runs for about 12 min's.

Are these acceptable numbers for a 90 gallon tank with 700W of lighting?

Again, I'm really clueless with chillers, as this is my first. My home temp is kept at 74 degrees maximum.

Thanks, all.

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

You could probably get the chiller to cycle on and off less if you drop your house temp down to the 70-72F range. It might make the chiller last a few extra years too.

Excuse me sir, but where are your PICS???!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Current USA 1/15th hp chiller. At this time of the day (3:30), in HOT Las Vegas, my chiller runs for 4 minutes and rest for only 1 minute. I have had luck with it for almost 3 years.. If it ever burns out, I would be inclined to buy a more powerful chiller like you did Sparky (I should have done more research back then). Anyways, you should be alright.
    I think I have had good success with my chiller because I have an extra fan blowing through the chiller to keep the coil and internal parts nice and cool. I don't think the stock fan alone does a good job. Overheating is the best way to blow up any type of cooling system...

5. ReefSparky

Well, SIR--:) my pics are aplenty in the afforementioned/linked thread referenced above. The link reads, "As This Thread Indicates." Click on it for lots of visual stimulation.

FWIW, part of the rationale in buying a chiller was to keep my home a bit warmer than the 70 degrees in which my wife was freezing her patootie off. It's been this way since 2005. I've only kept this insanely low temp to accomodate my reef tank. Now that we have a chiller, I've decided to keep the home at 74 or so.

Since I greatly oversized this chiller; as a 1/3HP unit is rated for a +340G tank, while I have a 90--I'm only asking to find out if those who own chillers find the numbers I've listed above to be acceptable or not.

I guess my main question is: "Is something wrong with a 1/3 HP chiller running for 13 minutes every half hour to maintain a temperature of 78 degrees in a 90 gallon tank?"

BTW, nothin' but love for ya, Bogie! :)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  6. chuckdee

chuckdee Peppermint Shrimp

Ok, the chiller is on for roughly 12 minutes and rests for roughly 30? That sounds really good to me... It pretty much means that even though the chiller is off, the water temp doesn't increase really fast. It almost seems like it takes a long time to cool the water from 79 to 77.9 though.
    Also, the flow you have running through the chiller will change how much the water running through it gets cooled (I'm sure you know that).
    I hope someone with a similiar setup can help.

1 person likes this.
  7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

hi Sparky

Im using a Hailea 1/4 HP chiller on my 5ft - 70 gallon
    the numbers you post are very good based on my experience with mine

Mine is degrees C - its set for 26 - comes on at 27 and goes off at 25.9
    when it comes on, it took 3 mins to reach the target temp
    then it went off for 5 minutes

we dont run room AC 24/7 ,(room has 3 HP floor unit only on when everyone is up and only stays on when people are in the home ) its off when everyone is out or in bed - and outside temp recently has reached 36- 38 degrees C

yes sat here and timed it this morning so the figures are accurate based on room at 28

Steve

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Wow, your's chills pretty fast. your tanks heats up pretty fast too. Of course, that's because you have an awesome lighting system there. On my 150G system, it kicks on at 79º and turns off when it hits 77º and usually will stabilize at 76.8º before it starts warming up. I have a JBJ 1/5hp on it right now, and it runs for about an hour to drop it the 2º. It takes about 5-6 hours before it turns back on. I bought a 1/4hp for it, but have yet to switch it out, I'm too lazy right now. I have too many projects going on, on my plate right now. I haven't really kept track on my 20G tank with the 1/15hp chiller, but I do know it doesn't take as long to chill as my 150G, naturally.

1 person likes this.
  10. ReefSparky

Thanks for the responses everyone. Anyone else with circumstances closer to mine? Such as a 1/3 HP on a 90? :)

1 person likes this.
  11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Am not an expert on chillers, but your(Sparky) chiller sounds right to me. To drop the temp on your house A/C to help run the chiller better sounds ludicrous to me, no offense! If that was the case, dont buy the chiller and set your a/c to 65 or 68 degs. Anyways, Your chiller is running at one fourth of the time b/c you got a bigger than needed chiller. If you would have gotton a smaller hp, it would be on more to keep up with the higher demand. Of course, the temp inside your house, outside your house, size of system, type of lighting and how many gph are running through it are all factors to consider. I think that your fine.

Luna

1 person likes this.
  12. ReefSparky

Thanks, Luna. That means a lot. :)