Brine Shrimp VS Mysis....

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by {Nano}Reefer, Sep 2, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

Allright, i want to put this debate to rest and ask everyone which is better, i keep hearing different things about how the brine with spirulina is so much healthier for everything including corals, then i see people on here say that the mysis is far better and that brine has no food value....whats everyones opinion and can you give any facts on why which is better????

i personally think this is a good topic for everyone on 3reef to comment on and pute up info for everybody to read.

THANK YOU!!!! :)

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

all i know is baby brine shrimp have alot more nutrition then adult brine shrimp. so you will need to specify if its adult brine shrimp or bbs

4. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

mysis are almost completley crude protein which is better than adult brine which is like 2% or something like that, the difference is really vast.

that being said I use brine mixed with mysis and phyto as a total tank feeding solution that i started buying at the lfs, i forget the name of it but it works very well it's a frozen cube of mysis, brine and some other small shrimp frozen with phyto and a small amount of garlic, smells like hell but the fish and corals all love it since i switched to it

5. Seppish

Seppish Fire Worm

I will start off saying that I feed my tank a combination of both brine shrimp with spirulina, and mysis shrimp. I have no particular schedule for when I feed what, I will just feed mysis for a day or 2, and then switch to the brine shrimp for a day or 2. From my readings mysis shrimp are supposed to be healthier for the fish because of the amount of protien that they contain. On the other hand I have also read that feeding your fish with spirulina is better for them. and helps bring out their colors more. I found the following information from marinedepot.com.

This is the analysis for the brine shrimp (no spirulina), also this was Ocean Nutrition brand:

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Crude Protein (min) 5.2%, Crude Fat (min) 1.6%, Crude Fiber (max) 3.7%, Moisture (max) 88.3% (Protein as a percentage of dry matter - 44.4%)

And this is the analysis for the mysis shrimp (no spirulina) but the brand is San Francisco Bay:

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein Min 3.70%
    Crude Fat Min 0.44%
    Crude Fiber Max 0.30%
    Moisture Max 92.00%
    Dry Protein 46.25

From these readings, it seems to me that the brine shrimp is more healthy for the fish, but I have also read that San Francisco Bay is an inferior brand so who is to know for sure. For my peace of mind I will conintue to feed both foods.

6. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

7. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

the best way to stay healthy is to have a varied diet so i say mix it up