Biocube stand got wet!! **Transfer Complete!**

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Biocube, Jul 15, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Hey guys, so when I was on vacation my ATO failed and released 3 gallons of RO/DI into my stand. Currently as it stands I have cracks now on the very bottom board of my BC29 stand. Please keep in mind I have been home for a week nows with fans running non stop drying out the stand.

Obviously this board needs to be replaced, but I need to know how soon this should be. I am going to Lowes Monday night and plan to place wood under the split board for temporary support.

Lastly, should I just replace the entire stand or do you think it's possible to build a replacement board?

Thanks guys!

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I have gotten the bottom of my freshwater stand wet countless times over the years (leaving the hose in too long after water changes) without major issues arising. Unless it's particle board, I don't see too much to be concerned about, unless you are concerned about losing some aesthetic value. Was the stand painted or stained?

4. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Well sadly it's particle board.. :(

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

The Biocube (and most companies) stands are made of MDF/laminate. Neither of these are safe around water, and will peel/crumble when they do get very wet. 3 gallons is a LOT of water. I would replace the cabinet.

I just built my new cabinet today. Took me a few hours, but looks nice and only cost $65 in materials. This may be more difficult if you wish to match the curve of the tank, but it can be done if you have some power tools.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I saw your build, it looks very nice. Sadly I don't have any power tools. :( I may need to go home and visit my dad for the weekend but that won't be for weeks. :(

I might try calling Oceanic and see if I can order just the replacement bottom board. The rest of the stand looks and feels great, it's just one board that got wet.

7. Seano Hermano

Actually, I had the wood cut to size at Lowes. Once I got home, I just put it together. I used clamps to hold the glue until I screwed the sides together with the drill. So I just needed clamps, glue, tape measure, t-square and a Japanese pull saw (found at Lowe's/Home Depot, but I already had these).

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  8. Click Here!

9. Seano Hermano

Sorry to hear about the issue though...Hope you get it worked out soon.

10. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Maybe I'll look into that, my only fear is that iv spent so much time customizing my system around that stand. I might be better off spending the 135 and replace the whole thing with the same stand. Unless I build my own out of actual wood.

For now I plan on supporting the board and go from there.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

12. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah, the particle board won't hold up long then. Has it started to swell yet?