Best spot for Mangroves??

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by DJISIS, Aug 12, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DJISIS

DJISIS Astrea Snail

I just bought 3 Mangroves to help with the filtration of my tank. I have a 10 gal refugium with live sand and a couple difff. types of algea in it with the light staying on 24/7. I also have a sump next to it with live rock. Where's the best place to put my Mangroves?? 1 has roots already, the other 2 don't. I've gotten diffrent answers as to what would be the best place for them.

2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

I think I saw that Reeron has a good set up with mangroves

4. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

5. conjuay

conjuay Feather Duster

Lights on 24/7? That's the first problem. Set up a timer and run your sump light opposite schedule to your tank lights. I don't think the mangroves can survive constant "on" cycle and need to rest at least 8 hours a day.
    The idea of leaving lights running 24/7 over algae is to prevent caulerpa algae from melting down (going sexual) and messing up the tank.
    But: if you don't have caulerpa as one of your algae, there really is no reason to run 24 hours a day.
    Having said that, I have both cheato and grape caulerpa
    (the "bad" algae ::)) in my 10 gallon sump, with mangroves just leaning against the side of the tank. I believe the idea is to keep the roots exposed and not IN the sand bed, so they'll remove nutrients from the water, not what is already trapped in the sand.