Best refugium light setup from Drs. Foster and Smith

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by crustytheclown, Jun 13, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

So i am in the process of converting the back middle chambers of my biocubes into refugiums and need to know what the best way to light them up to grow some cheato! I have been looking at the Taam Rio Mini Sun (white and blue combo) to light it from the top! There is also an underwater light that i thought might work? The Marina Micro LED lights that are submersible. What do you think is the best light to grow cheato in the back of a biocube?
    thanks

I was gonna order the 5w underwater light from IntankLLC.com but they are backordered~

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

How about the Home Depot special? A cone Reflector and a 6500K spiral compact fluorescent bulb.

4. crustytheclown

well i was thinking about that but wouldnt i have to scrap off the back black paint off the glass to make up a setup like this?

5. Barbarossa

Barbarossa Sea Dragon

+1 for the $15 home depot option. If I recall correctly, the Rio led will not work with timers which is why I didn't go with it.

6. crustytheclown

barbarossa, do you recall why this Rio light would not work with a timer?

7. crustytheclown

i was really not wanting to scrap the back of the biocube. Any other suggestions? It looks like there is a LED light by Hydor as well? Pretty cheap also $10 bucks!

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The cone is a clip-on. Attach to the tank edge if there is room.

10. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I went the Home Depot special route and my mangroves are sticking out of the top of the fuge now....growing like crazy!

11. Night-Rida

Night-Rida Finback Whale

try to get the CFL flood lights, its a spiral bulb inside a flood light with a built-in reflector.. some what waterproof (from splashes) I think im using a 26w CFL flood light now. its 5100k or 6500k..

1 person likes this.
  12. crustytheclown

Ok well! I get that many have made lights DIY from Home Depot and such, and i dont want to come off as a **** head, but my question was for suggestions on lights i could order from the Drs. Foster and Smith site! I am strapped for cash and need to buy this on credit and get it delivered to my door cause i dont have a car! So would the Taam Rio Mini Sun grow cheato a few inches below the waters surface in a refugium? Cause this is the light i am leaning towards!