Apex Lite Controller opinions?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by MoJoe, Apr 19, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Hey all,

I'm gearing up to buy a controller and needed input on the Apex Lite. I have never owned a controller and wanted to know if anyone has/had one and how they like it.

Thanks,
    Joe

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

I don't have that brand but will say that a controller is big help maintaining parameters. Makes things much easier and your tank even more enjoyable.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Thanks, yes, after getting an ATO and seeing how much easier that made life, a controller is a no brainer :). I'm just trying to make sure I get the best for my needs with upgradeable options (which I know the Apex has).

I have read some users report negatives on them when they just came out so wondering how they are now.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The Neptune line of controllers are the top of the line from what I have read. You might want to go the Apex if you want to have a complex circulation pattern.

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The only difference between the full Apex and the Apex Lite is the control of 0-10V items, such as LED pendants and Tunze pumps.

If you decide you will never have Tunze pumps or a dimmable LED system, then get the Lite. You can also get the add on unit to add these features later if you are strapped for cash and need to save the $50.

There is an Apex Jr. coming out soon. Do not confuse the two. Doubt you are... just sayin.

7. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

thanks for the info jonjon.

I don't have any Tunze pumps, just a Vortech with its own controller so that's a go & I'm up in the air on LED's so prob not too worried about dimmables for that. Just have a 250w halide pendant currently.

I can get the Lite for about $369 with a free PH probe so may get one, for what it can do it seems like a great deal. Much like when I got my Tunze ATO, I was kicking myself for not doing it sooner.

A Jr. version, really? I'm wondering if it will be wireless?

8. Click Here!

9. RedGambit

RedGambit Giant Squid

Neptunes controllers are good. Bit confusing to program from the get go. But once you get one command and plug in down, you're good to go for the rest. At least on the aquacontroller jr. I love mine! A great reef purchase!

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

well i just got the apex yesterday. and had it all set up and and was calibrating the ph probe. which will not calibrate correctly. and it made the whole unit fail and lost all i put in, and i had to reset it all today. uuuurrrggghhh. i will call them this week and see whats up with the ph probe.

Last edited: May 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

The Junior version will not be wireless. You can get a wireless adapter meant for a gaming system for $40 or so.... can't remember off hand which system.

It can however still have the Vortech wireless capability. I would strongly recommend you reading up on that unit. It can plug into any of the Apex systems and control all of your Vortech pumps. It allows you to be much more creative in your pump flow patterns.

Neptune WXM Systems Wireless Expansion Module/Vortech Compatible - AquaCave
    Someone on here has one and posted a really good review of the unit. Hopefully, they will post on here.

12. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

look into the Apex Jr as well... built on the same interface, but great price at $150