Anyone have experience using?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by auditt76, Jan 3, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. auditt76

auditt76 Plankton

Looking at getting a sulfur denitrifier. Does anyone have any experience with them? I am most likely going to give the 120 day trial a shot.

Sulfur DeNITRIFIER

2. Click Here!

3. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

i wouldnt, they produce hydrogen sulfide, which is deadly. your better off with a refugium, skimmer, plenum, L/R, L/S, wet/dry, sump, anything but a denitrator

4. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

There are much better and easier to use ones around other then a sulfur unit.. They where a hit 30 plus yrs ago LOL but so was the U/G filters.. I just had this converstion on this site a week or so ago.. Are you in the U/K ? As I recall they where maybe these units are making a comeback over there? But I'd never use one again myself..

5. auditt76

auditt76 Plankton

Thanks for the update. I am from Toronto. I am just looking around for a better nitrate solution. I have a high population in my tank, and i am having a difficult time lowering my nitrate reading. Currently i am doing almost a daily water change of 4 - 5 gal. My reading is staying at 40. I have a nitrate remover, algone, and chemi-pure in my canister. Someone had suggested a sand filteration method. I don't know which way to go, money isn't really a issue, i'll spend it if it means my tank will be healthy, i just don't want to waste it on the wrong method. Thanks for you time, any ideas are much appericated.

6. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

your canister might be the issue

1 person likes this.
  7. auditt76

auditt76 Plankton

8. Click Here!

9. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

before i go pointing fingers can you explain your system in detail

10. auditt76

auditt76 Plankton

ok.. i have a 80 gal tank, 80 lbs of LR, 30 fish - mid to small, mixed corals - leathers, frags, and acro's, 2 pink tip anom, 1 bubble tip, L/S, 3 brittle star fish, 2 mid size clams, snails, and crabs. I am running a fluval 405, remora protein skimmer, and two power heads, heater, outter orbit Metal HD. I have now just, algone, pura nitrate remover?(name?) and chemi pure elite. I run all my water through a R/O system. can't think of anything else.

11. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

30 Fish in an 80G might be just too much for the LR IMO

J

12. JasonSquared

JasonSquared Spaghetti Worm

Most of the nitrate remover is just snake oil. There isn't really a way chemically to get rid of nitrate without metabolizing it naturally. Guru's right get rid of the Fluval. They are almost always too hard to keep clean enough to rid yourself of nitrate.

Nitrate is produced by aerobic bacteria, and removed by anaerobic bacteria and algae. To decrease nitrate, the easiest way is to not have any type of canister filter and add a refugium with cheatomorpha macro-algae in it. If you don't have a source for this let me know and I'll send you some for the cost of shipping (I'm in W. New York so not too far away).

If that doesn't work, add a deep sand bed, at least 6" deep, and the deeper the better. If you need more info on this let me know I will provide info or links, but in an empty salt bucket works well. If THAT doesn't work try carbon dosing which is how professional water treatment like sewage treatment and drining water plants deal with NO3. If THAT doesn't work, then let me know, there are other options...