Access panels - need ideas

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Peredhil, Jun 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Behind my tank is a set of stairs. On the other side of that is a closet.

I want to put an access panel in the closet to access under the stairs. I want to do this so I can investigate the potential of automating my top offs (there is plumbing on the third wall I could connect into).

The best kind of access panel I can find is like this (found on the ace hardware site, but it's the same thing at Home Depot).

[​IMG]

That's just too small. I don't mind crawling in there, but I don't want to slither through!

I'm only 130lbs so I don't need much. Any one have any other ideas?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

what about looking at serving hatch type doors, the type that are normally fitted between a kitchen and a dinning room , they would be bigger than that access panel shown

Steve

4. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

Why not just a small door door.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I can't really find a door that actually closes that will fit between two studs.

I did just find this on amazon though. It's 14x29. I'm not exactly positive the studs in this area are actually 16" apart or what though.... reckon I'll cut it open tomorrow and take some measurements.

[​IMG]

6. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

We do alot of "hidden" doors in my business. One of the ways we do it is cut the "door" with a 1/64 or 1/32 fine saw blade, place backing behind it, then use rare earth magnets to attach it to the wall. In most cases walking by people don't notice a line that small cut into drywall or wood.

If you have questions I can post a few pix, a pic of where you plan on putting the access will help with ideas too :)

1 person likes this.
  7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

PM Sent.

I went and used some magnets to find the studs in the wall in question. I drew a little line on it in the biggest access panel I could find.

14x29. I can get through that no problem, I guess, but I don't really want to.

So now I'm thinking about cutting it and cleaning up the opening to look like a regular door with trim sans door. I'm fine with doing this at this point. But Gopher's got me thinking something a bit different now. Zombie saferoom + ATO room ;D

fun times

8. Click Here!

9. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

You can cut through _A_ stud no problem. Cut the stud out, brace it when you frame in the door, and add a small door.

10. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Exactly my thoughts. Stud isn't load-bearing material, it's just support for drywall into which to screw. Stud can be cut. This is done all the time to relocate electrical panels and such. If the entire wall you have under this stairwell is big enough, you might consider cutting out and framing in a full sized door and making yourself a mini fish room.

11. Da_Gopherboy

Da_Gopherboy Fire Shrimp

+1

That was my sugjestion too :)

12. mscottring

mscottring Fire Shrimp

Do something like that hatch on Lost, complete with a light shining out of it.