Transporting Frags

Discussion in 'Frags' started by shoebox, Jan 27, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. shoebox

shoebox Bubble Tip Anemone

Ok by the time October gets here my tank will be ready for new things. I will be traveling to Fla. And would like to bring somethings home. How is this done safely. We drive from the time we leave we are home in less than 36 hours. Any help Thanks.:eek:

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Order online...or have the items you buy there shipped.

4. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

That's your best bet.

5. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

here is what i have done.... get a large igloo cooler, small glass thermometer, 100w heater, 1 airpump with air stone and one battery operated air pump with air stone and inverter that will run off your cigarette lighter. Take the cooler to the store you want to purchase your frags from, have them fill it 1/4 full of saltwater, have them float the frags on styrofoam blocks. If your staying overnight someplace plug in heater and airpump and run them in cooler with lid cracked open. If your going right back home, setup air pump to run with lid slightly cracked (inside car temp should be kept about 75 degs.) Avoid having the cooler exposed to sunlight.
    The thing to be sure of is to keep the water circulating using the air stone and keep the temp above 68

[​IMG]

6. FaceOfDeceit

That's all well and good if you're near home. A 36 hour drive + the time to pack all of the frags away...I don't think many frags will fair well. It would be easier just to buy what you want, have them hold it for a couple of days, ship it when you get back home.

7. shoebox

Ok thanks. Buy what are saying then is that when you buy frags they are overnight-ed to you and ups is more careful than I would be. I am not doubting what you are saying it just wondering.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

Overnight Priority shipments spend 12-16 hours in the box...less than half of the 36 hour estimate you said above. It would be safer for $40...probably cheaper than buying the supplies to try such a move.

10. shoebox

Cool that's what i was looking for now I can move on to my next question, one more thing off my bucket list. Joining this forum a great idea Thanks to all.