Octopus...will he/she eat everything?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by sdiver35, Nov 19, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sdiver35

sdiver35 Plankton

Thinking of getting an Octopus and was wondering if he/she will eat everything in my tank....purple tang, Hippo, Strawberry chromis. and percula clown; any input would be helpul

PS...whoever recommeded garlic...ITS A MIRACLE!!!....KENT GARLIC DROPS elimintaed my Ich problem...few drops on everything

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Octopi are definately NOT REEF SAFE!!!

You will need a species only tank for it. Not only that, they can squeeze themselves out of any hole that is bigger than their beak. They have specialized care requirements. Make sure you are ready to do the work. Here's a good place for research. http://www.tonmo.com/

1 person likes this.
  4. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

hey, how long have you been using garlic? Is it the Kent Marine Garlic Xtreme? My tang is very picky with food and has been pricking on the rock. I bought a veggie clip with seaweed selects but have had no luck getting it to much off the seaweed.

Have you noticed increased appetites in your fish with the garlic?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

/\ /\ /\ AGREE....octopi will eat all ur stuff and then come out of the tank and eat you! well maybe not eat you but....u need to do alot of research before thinking about these little guys

6. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

I am not encouraging you to put an opti in your reef tank. As previously stated it will eat everything. Not to mention the nematocyst on the suction cups would probably wreak havoc on any corals in the systems. Oh and don't they ink, or is that just squid? If they do whenever you so much as sneeze around the tank be ready for a massive water change.

HOWEVER, they are some of the smartest creatures in the oceans. Can be trained to eat from their owner's hand, and perform tricks. Not to mention they are really cool looking. If you have the time, money, and energy to setup a species only tank for this little guy, I strongly recommend it.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

i wound never trust an octopie to eat from my hand, he would become 2 smart and kill me lol...

8. Click Here!

9. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I would not mess with an Octopus honestly. I used to work at a public aquarium several years ago, and even they had a hard time keep them happy - even with all of the resources at their disposal. Plus the little buggers are smart - and major escape artists - your tank needs to be like fort knox. No holes, gaps or anything. Major hassle IMO.

10. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Speaking of public aquariums...the largest one in the world is opening here in Atlanta in 2 days! How cool is that!!!

11. ryugraphix

ryugraphix Astrea Snail

12. Speedy

Speedy Fire Shrimp

Funny thing about public aquariums and octi's... I heard a rumor of an aquarium where sharks were just disappearing. I mean vanishing! Like you put a 10 foot shark in today and it's not there tomorrow morning. Guess who it was????? Yup our little 8 legged friend couldn't get enough of them.