ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
Feather Duster

Skin: Mint
stauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond repute

gallery
Default Proper way to feed frozen fish food?

I'm new to SW aquariums and frozen fish food, so please bear with me.

I currently feed my fish flake food, frozen brine shrimp, frozen Marine Cuisine (made by San Fransisco Bay Brand), and frozen Krill. I am curious about the proper procedure to use when feeding frozen foods to SW livestock. The problems I see with feeding the food frozen are:
  1. Fish can swallow food still frozen, thus causing them injury mouth or internally (cuts or scratches).
  2. Fish can swallow food frozen, causing internal harm due to cold temp of food.
  3. Larger fish could eat frozen chunks of food, causing smaller fish to get none.

I have seen my Spotfin Squirrelfish eat frozen Krill I just added to the tank, and I swear I thought it was going to choke on it. He has also eaten chunks of the other frozen foods I added before the other fish get a chance to get any for themselves.

How do others handle frozen foods and feeding them to their fish?

Appreciate the assistance.
stauchistory is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:32 AM   #2
SAY
Ocellaris Clown

SAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond reputeSAY has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

i fill a glass with water from my tank and drop the cube of frozen in to let it defrost. After it defrosts, i strain it and then use a baster to add it to the tank.
SAY is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #3
Feather Duster

stauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond reputestauchistory has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAY View Post
i fill a glass with water from my tank and drop the cube of frozen in to let it defrost. After it defrosts, i strain it and then use a baster to add it to the tank.
Could you explain the use of a strainer and baster, as opposed to just adding the defrosted food to the tank by pouring it in?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
Spaghetti Worm

Midwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond reputeMidwayman1968 has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

I feed portions of frozen mysis shrimp cubes by floating cube in a cup of tank water till its soup.. Then i squirt it into tank w turkey baster
Midwayman1968 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2010, 04:37 AM   #5
Astrea Snail

dkpnmn is moving on up!

gallery

We melt ours in a cup with a little RO water, then strain it through a Brine Shrimp Net. After that we just dump it in the tank. Sometimes I put a little in a Turkey baster and feed the Anemone, but it usually catches food from the flow.
dkpnmn is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2010, 04:41 AM   #6
Feather Duster

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpnmn View Post
Sometimes I put a little in a Turkey baster and feed the Anemone, but it usually catches food from the flow.
So is the baster used by everyone primarily for "spot feeding" (is that what it's called???), or to selectively feed specific livestock? Are there other uses for using a baster?
Old 08-14-2010, 04:48 AM   #7
Astrea Snail

dkpnmn is moving on up!

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by stauchistory View Post
So is the baster used by everyone primarily for "spot feeding" (is that what it's called???), or to selectively feed specific livestock? Are there other uses for using a baster?
Yeah, the Spot Feeder basters have a smaller opening at the end to avoid dumping too much food at once, and they are usually a little longer than a store one. I use a typical store version for blowing crap off my rocks from time to time, but find the extra couple bucks worth it for the spot feeder.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:50 AM   #8
Plankton

doreen is on a distinguished road

gallery

we defrost our food with tank water in a dish before feeding.
I haven't liked the idea of the defrosted water going into the tank... SAY and Dkpnmn i like your idea straining it first. will start doing that.
doreen is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 08-14-2010, 04:51 AM   #9
Feather Duster

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkpnmn View Post
Yeah, the Spot Feeder basters have a smaller opening at the end to avoid dumping too much food at once, and they are usually a little longer than a store one. I use a typical store version for blowing crap off my rocks from time to time, but find the extra couple bucks worth it for the spot feeder.
Got it. I was wondering how a huge turkey baster was used to feed fish and I didn't realize there were smaller versions. +1 for the clarification.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:52 AM   #10
Astrea Snail

dkpnmn is moving on up!

gallery

I own a couple of these, they work great for me.

H2O Life Coral Feeder Squirt Tube

Click Here!

Tags
feeding, frozen food