angel with pop eye

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by DSC reef, Mar 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Just noticed today that my coral beauty has pop eye. This was my first fish so I hope he makes it. I'm not sure how it happened but it's only one eye. Could an extreme temperature drop cause this? He's still swimming and eating normal and full of spunk. Anything I should do for the poor fella?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Pop eye in marine fish is usually the result of physical injury to the area or a decline in water quality namely nitrates and ammonia. It frequently resolves if water quality issues have been resolved or the injury heals. Unfortunately sometime a secondary bacterial infection sets in.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I can attest to this. My Sebae had it for weeks ( I think he scraped a rock). I fed him with selcon soaked food and he improved on his own. Took time.

5. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My nitrates are at 40ppm so I did a 30% water change and the trates are the same?. No ammonia or nitrites though. I guess I'm gonna do water changes every other day until the nitrates are under control.

6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Dennis..... With your bio load, you will continue to see nitrate issues. I know I piled on you pretty hard when you added the clown tang but this is one of the reasons I got so spun up about it. I appreciate the fact that you are so motivated to do well though.

7. KDtrey5

KDtrey5 Coral Banded Shrimp

Happened to my clown. It just went away on its own.

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I got my 55 up and running and moved my gangs out of my 36. Another water change and my nitrates are down a lot lower. Everything is starting to fall in place

10. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Just have to wait it out...I have had them get it from time to time, and it is like a cut on you. It takes time to heal...If it is extreme, he may lose an eye. He will still function properly with one, but in most cases, it will heal. There is nothing you can do to control it, other than keep your water healthy.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

My coral beauty is back to good health and nitrates are barely reading. Thanks everyone for the great advice. Especially you Daniel;)

1 person likes this.
  12. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

awwwww, agreed. how old are your test kits denis? this could explain why you are getting the same reading as the test kit might be perished.

also im assuming the test was done prior to a water change and directly afterwards? or did a few days pass? a heavy bioload in a small system will boost trates rapidly.

iv never had popeye (knock on wood) so cant help you specifically however as others have mentioned a healthy diet will help healing (dont over feed however or your trates will increase further)