Plugging a drilled tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Lady J, Aug 18, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

If you have a drilled tank but don't want to run a sump, can you safely seal the holes with something or does it compromise the strength of the bottom?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You should be able to seal it using bulkhead and then capping the bulkhead or buying a piece of double strength glass the same thickness as the bottom of the tank and about 2 or 3 times as large as the hole and putting it in place with silicone.

4. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I agree with 2in10,you can also stub out from the bulkheads with pvc and add ball valves,then cap them off to make things a breeze when they do decide to add a sump.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

What they said!;)

6. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks everyone! :) I'm actually asking for someone else because I want to help him if possible. The center brace on his 110g. broke and he's holding the tank with some kind of brace. He found a bigger tank but it's drilled and apparently he doesn't want to do a sump. If any of you feel inclined, maybe you could check out the thread, but now for the life of me I can't remember how he worded it. :(

Seriously, the guy needs help from us.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

His thread is in the ASAP forum-----TANK FALLING APART

8. Click Here!

9. Reef Breeders

Reef Breeders 3reef Sponsor

What? Why would you not want a sump:)

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

His wife was worried it would overflow and flood the house so she said no sump. Last time we talked he was going to try to help her understand how it works.

11. papareef

papareef Feather Duster

When my son was into saltwater i told him if i ever get a tank,no sump.I was sooo worried about floods and such.Well i added a sump to my tank 5 years ago,zero floods,no problems.I would never have a tank with out a sump now :)

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

I feel the same way, I loved mine as well. I can also understand her point though, especially when you don't really understand how a sump works.