Pic Intense ReefAngel Controller Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by crank2211, Jul 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crank2211

crank2211 Purple Spiny Lobster

I've read a few people on the forum here have a ReefAngel controller, but haven't seen any details or pics yet. I just received mine and decided to share a couple thoughts and pics. While I don't have it maintaining my tank yet, I was able to get it running and do a few tests. I picked the Angel entirely because of the open source aspect of it and plan on writing a few different apps specific to my environment and hopefully a couple I can share online to help others.

I run Windows 7 x64 and with the included usb connector it was very easy to use the free controller software on the ReefAngel site and I was able to get the Arduino environment up and running with no problems as well as upload the example LED blink sketch followed by the demo software again with no problems. I went through the VB source code available to download and saw there was a graphing control that doesn't show up when I installed distributable .exe even after manually registering the graphing dll's. I'm also having a bit of trouble compiling the source code in order to see the graphs. I plan on writing another dashboard with this functionality built in. Additionally in order to get the parameters to display in the aforementioned software, you need to manually dump the parameters/logs off the controller. I also hope to build in some functionality to periodically poll the controller instead. The soon to be released wifi module should make this much easier since currently you need your computer close to your reef or a long USB extension.

I haven't gone through every menu yet but the settings are very easy to understand. I'm looking forward to the next software release I've read about nested menus which I think would be cool.

So far I'm very happy with the purchase, everything works as expected out of the box. The only hiccup I had was with a faulty AC-DC adapter used in the relay box. After some troubleshooting with Roberto, he quickly mailed me a new one and everything works great.

The Goods:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Guts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Accessories:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Screens:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Software:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very nice review, thanks for the pics

4. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks neat. Someone needs to come put with a controller with a screen, the size of that iPhone. :p

5. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

DO I even want to know the cost?

6. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

It's $200.00 not bad at all..

7. ComputerJohn

ComputerJohn Panda Puffer

Very nice, I have been waiting to see what it looked like complete. Now that your warranty is voided since you opened it. LOL... Great Pics!!! K+

8. Click Here!

9. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

Thanks for taking the time and sharing. Nice post. :)

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i have this controller im not a computer tech. and just wanted to use the simple version. but, if i had it to do over again i wouldnt buy it. in the short 2 months of having it there has been 3 problems. i wish i could return it. one good thing is roberto is always willing to help when there is a problem. but thing is i bought a controller so i would have less to do. not fix issues. this was a mistake for me.
    will end up getting rid of it and taking a loss :(

1 person likes this.
  11. ontop27

ontop27 Ritteri Anemone

can you tell us what kind of problems? i've been thinking of getting one. also did you get the simple (built in code) or advanced version?

12. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

my reef angel is running on the simple version tweaked by Roberto.
    at this time im waiting for new auto top off sensors (mine dont work). and yesterday i used the feed mode and my moonlights came on and got stuck on after that. i finally got them to turn off.
    i can say if your not a computer techie... i wouldnt get this.