NEW 220 Gal setup questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by saltaddiction, Oct 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltaddiction

saltaddiction Flamingo Tongue

So this will be my 3rd salt tank. My 1st two are smaller, 29g and 10g. I'm used to just running Aquaclear HOB filters and in skin skimmer. The new 220g is tempered and not drilled (i got it really cheap). I'm looking at doing two eshopps overflow boxes to my sump and two return pumps back to the display tank.

My question is which size of overflow and pumps should I use for the setup?

I plan to take the contents of both tanks into this one, once cycled.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Hi and Welcome to 3reef saltaddiction.

Bump for those with big tanks.

4. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

Don't know about the HOB overflows, what are you planning on keeping in the tank ?
    How big is your sump ?

I currently run a drilled tank, it's 350 on top, 130 sump, I have 2 x 2inch overflows, and a 2200 gallon a hour return pump, fish only with live rock, I used to run a 93 cube, with a hob overflow with 2x 1.5 inch overflows and a 800 gallon return pump, this was a reef tank, and seemed to do ok with that set up.

Someone else who has a hob will I am sure chime in.

Well done on the big tank, they are very daunting, but very exciting too.

5. saltaddiction

I'm planning on a mixed reef. My wife is into the fish and i love the corals and verts. The contents of our two tanks now will be the first addition. I have 150lbs of base rock and will be adding at least 50lbs of LR.
    The sump is 55g. I'd love to drill it but its tempered. My reason for two overflows and two pumps is redundancy. In my line of work, that is what I mainly do, redundancy and IMO - you can never have enough of it.

6. saltaddiction

you have 2 x 2" overflows? which kinds and models? So are your overflows pulling more than 2200 per hr out? I heard you want the overflow out more than the pump in.

I've been looking at the Eshopps overflows - thinking 2 x the 800 model and then figure out two pumps for input back in.

Starting to wonder if I need a larger sump now.

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

You wouldn't happen to work for the government in some capacity? lol

8. Click Here!

9. saltaddiction

hahahaha NO....I do design and implementation engineer for complex corporate voice applications. No company wants their phones down, so there is always redundancy being built in.

Just adding my little OCD into this project.

10. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Yes, I think you may want to consider a larger sump. You typically want to aim for one about 1/2 the size of the DT.

Once you get your sump finalized, then you can figure out how much flow you need to size the pumps and overflows.

11. Scuba Ken

Scuba Ken Ritteri Anemone

It's a drilled tank with 2x2inch overflows, the overflows only run into the sump what the return pump can pump out, the return pump is 2200 gallons.

12. saltaddiction

Any thoughts on how to get roughly 320g (DT and sump) of water in there? I'm in the process of purchasing an RODI but even that will take a week for it to fill.

I'd like to get it filled and start cycling it. Any suggestions on a cost effective way to do it?

Thanks