How do i prime HOB overflow hose???

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by twelvebeer, Mar 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. twelvebeer

twelvebeer Spaghetti Worm

Im trying to start the suction hang on back overflow for my sump and cant figure out how. I have searched the net with no luck. Anyone know how to do this?

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

take the J-tube out of the overflow. Put it into the tank and invert it so all air bubbles out. Put your thumb over the short end of the J-tube. Being careful not to lift the long end out of the display tank, don't take your thumb off until it is in your overflow box.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I used to get some airline hose and stick it up to the top of the bend and submerge both ends, then suck out air until the water meets. carefully remove the air hose.

5. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

make sure that both boxes have water in them and the U tube is submerged. Take a piece of airline tube and stick it half way in the U tube. Place it back in the overflow box. Suck on the end of the airline tube until the water starts, then hold the U tube in place and slowly pull out the air line. That's it.

6. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

I did a video on how to prime an overflow box

if this is your first time starting your overflow box and your tank is full of water, then you will start the overflow box, then turn on your return pump

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. twelvebeer

Perfect! Thanks everyone for the replies and thanks a ton for the video!!!!

8. Click Here!

9. twelvebeer

I also knew about drilling a hole but was a little unsure about where to put it or how big to make it. Thanks again man!

10. link248

link248 Ritteri Anemone

Glad I could help. I threw in the part about the siphon break hole because some people may not know about it. It doesn't have to be that big, and be sure to drill it at a angle towards the top of the tank. If you drill it downward, then water will shoot out of your tank when you turn your pump on.

11. twelvebeer

Great idea!