Hanna Calcium Checker Review

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by dowtish, Aug 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I received my new checker a few days ago, and I wanted to share my initial experience and opinion.

First thing I noticed was there were more parts and pieces compared to the others that I have. (Alk,phos etc) But at the same time there twice as many reagent packs than what came with my phos checker, which is great.

The packaging is like all the other checkers, very minimal and tight fitting. It's hard to fit everything back in, but it can be done. I am okay with this, because I'm assuming that this is why they are affordable. No point in wasting money on the packaging.

I was surprised at the fact that on this test you have to fill the cuvette with RO/DI and then only add 0.1 ml of your tank water. So RO/DI will always need to be on hand for testing. The process is a little different compared to the other checkers, but is still super easy to understand. And the results are right there in digital display, which is awesome.

I tested my levels with a Salifert test first, and then the checker. With the salifert test I got a reading of 440 with the 0.12 left in the syringe.

I got a reading of 447 with the Hanna checker. And I got the results in about the same about of time. Which being that I've used the Salifert test a lot, and the checker only once. I think once I get used to it, I won't have to read the directions, and get a result even faster. I'm am all about convenience, but more about precise as possible with what we are offered in the hobby. And so far I am happy with it. I will continue to test and compare the results for a few weeks, and maybe try a different test kit as well.

So as of now, I think this is another great product from Hanna, and hopefully we will see a Mag Checker available soon as well. For the price, convenience, and accuracy, I highly suggest all of them.

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. jkat21

jkat21 Bangghai Cardinal

Very glad to hear your happy with it..mine should ship today, I ordered the other day from TB aquatics...I have the phos/alk and love them.. I also can't wait for the mag checker to..

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Great writeup Dowtish!! I love my Alk checker. The RODI part concerns me a little bit because if the tds start going up I would think this would effect the accuracy of the test.:confused:

5. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I still want to get these. I might get each one as I have the extra cash to throw around...whenever that will be. lol.

Good point.

6. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

Thanks for taking your time to write this up and will be interested in what your opinion is after a month or so.

Good stuff and keep us posted.

7. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I have been using mine now for over a month, have done maybe 7-8 tests (dialing in my dosing schedule on a new tank) and I still love it FWIW

8. Click Here!

9. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

what does this thing run price wise? I am getting low on test supplies and was thinking of buying items such as these to make my reading more accurate and a digital display is nice.

Also getting a new setup dialed in for SPS purposes.

grim;

what are your thoughts on the ro/di water usage? Have your done comparison tests with your other calc kit just to double check yourself.

10. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

They all run around $50 or so. And the refill reagents can be purchesed through BRS at the same price as directly through Hanna. They run around $8- $10 per refill. Totally affordable IMO.

11. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I checked it against my red sea kit and then again against LFS salifert test. All in the same range +-10 (easily human error on my part with the color change)

12. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

cool thank you both for the info