Fluidized filter And DSB's

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by djnzlab1, Jan 5, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

HI,
    Well I retired my canister filters yesterday, I was reading about coraline algae and pods and many other things can be drastically reduced by filter pads, DUH, every time I cleaned a marineland filter it was full of mud and food, and waste.. duh .More stuff that creates water waste.

SO I have a extra large fluidized bed filter zero maint, and sump with a reforguim and light a DSB, and a modified coral life skimmer. I ran a hose to the sump from the filter and a hose from the sump,to the filter with a monster rio on it that has a reducer to slow the flow and then I can keep sand in it and if it compacts down like they can with power failure I can open the flow valve from the rio and whoosh up goes the sand. they say you can use a small pump to power a fluidized bed but you can't start one with a small pump you need lots of pressure to break the mud loose once its packed down.
    Mine is the taller one holds two packages of sand.....It take about 45 days to seed one with bugs and any extensive power outage can kill the bacteria fluidized filter only use aerobic bacteria where dsb are mostly anerobic. the neat thing about a fluidized bed filter if you over feed the bacteria take off and burn off the waste the down is it tends to lower KH so check the water at least weekly unless you use kalk.

[​IMG]
    Let see what happens over the next few weeks. My guess is the coraline will take off, its been very slow coming and my paramters are prsitine, but my guess is all the filtration pads and sponges were removing the coraline spores and any baby pods that ventured to close to the intakes the intakes to a dark hole of death.. hehe
    It seems cleaner already go figure.:confused:
    Doug
    have two marineland filters very cheep cheep great for freshies.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  2. Click Here!

3. Nightstick

Nightstick Purple Spiny Lobster

I have a marineland C-360 and was wondering if you recommend I run it without the polishing pad, what bad can happen if anything if I remove the pad?