cleaning of wet/dry filter

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mikeb, Aug 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mikeb

mikeb Flamingo Tongue

This question is for anyone who wants to answer. How often do you clean your filter? I have the pro clear and it's mostly just the cylinder filter at the skimmer box that looks like it gets the most debris. Then in the sump part there's the pre-filter, the bio-balls, and a final filter on the bottom. They hardly ever look dirty. So if they don't seem like they need to be cleaned then I don't, right? I mean I want to disturb the bio filtration as little as possible.

2. Click Here!

3. reefman_MC

reefman_MC Aiptasia Anemone

I would clean it out at least once a week. Do you have live rock? If so how much? If you have enough LR it should provide enough bio filtration to take those bio balls and trash them. The bio balls just sit and collect detritus and as the detritus rots it produces nitrate. I would also assume if you have a Pro clear with an in sump Remora that the skimmer would be skimming the water after it goes through the bio balls. If I'm correct your defeating you whole purpose in the bio balls. So I really would suggest you throw the bio balls out if you have enough LR.

4. Midnight_Madman

Midnight_Madman Montipora Digitata

I threw mine away about 5 months ago! Then I got an awesome skimmer ,The EXCALIBUR by Advanced Aquaria and the tank is perfect

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I wouldn't clean the balls, just the prefilter/sponge.

You definitely don't want to disturb the balls if you don't have too, you are right about that. ;) :)