Bioptim and BIO DIGEST

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by chase, Apr 22, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. chase

chase Astrea Snail

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Hi chase - the question as to the effectiveness of this or similar products , I cannot answer for you having used neither

but from checking the links I can see that Bio Digest if the bacteria and bacteria food combination and Bioptim is a trace element package designed to ensure bacteria present have what they indicate are the right enviroment for optimum performance

IME Damsel excreta , or a decaying invert are naturally effective ways of cycling tanks and I have never felt the need to use these types of products

Steve

4. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

That link didn't work for me.

I've heard good things about using the prodibio system to keep a low nutrient system if you can afford it but I don't have any personal experience with it.
    www.prodibio.com

An alternative is the zeovit system for keeping ultra low nutrient levels.
    http://www.korallen-zucht.de/files/zeoguide_103_english-1.pdf
    ZEOvit.com Forum - ZEOvit

From what I've read just go slowly so you don't shock your system by sucking out all the nutrients at once, and be very careful not to overdose. I think they tend to be advanced and more expensive solutions for something that can generally be managed by careful husbandry and stocking.

I might consider using something like this in the future, if only to see if I can get the best colors out of my coral.