Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve Already Threatened

Discussion in 'Environmental' started by Matt Rogers, Sep 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Its been just one month since the success story of the Cabo Pulmo Marine Reserve was reported and now it appears its very existence is being threatened by development of a "new Cancun" that has "all but final approval" by the Mexican government. They state "such a resort would have no impact on the marine reserve" even though it will be located just 3 miles up the coast. I am not a scientist but someone please tell me how "3 golf courses, a 490-slip marina, a jetport, 15 hotels and numerous condos, equivalent to 30,692 hotel rooms or 10,230 three-bedroom condos or houses" and construction "extending over three or four decades" will not impact the reserve?

[​IMG]
    A blotchy Gulf grouper measuring over three feet long lurks in reefs in Cabo Pulmo National Park in the Sea of Cortez. | Octavio Aburto-Oropeza/iLCP/MCT

I would think dredging for the 490 slip marina alone would have an impact.

By the way, they have guaranteed boat slips to fisherman.

If there is something we as hobbyists and lovers of all things from the ocean can do, we need to do it now.

:(

matt

---

The Cabo Pulmo reefs hold 11 of the 14 species of coral found in the Sea of Cortez, which also is known as the Gulf of California. Its regular inhabitants or visitors include five of the world's seven endangered species of sea turtles.

Oceanographers report amazement at what they see. Aburto-Oropeza said he flew in an ultra-light aircraft earlier this year and spotted a congregation of sharks in the reserve.

"There were up to 200 sharks in a small part of the reef. It was unbelievable. In my 20 years of diving in the gulf, I hadn't seen anything like that," he said.

On a recent dive, he said, he witnessed "a group of about 20 large fish, groupers and snappers, eating a bunch of grunts that were between 50 and 70 centimeters," a foot and a half to more than 2 feet long. "It was an incredible spectacle."

The marine park, which was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2005, was clearly one of the reasons that Hansa Urbana, a development company based in Alicante, Spain, chose in 2007 to plan a major tourism development in Baja California.

Cyclone fencing surrounds much of its 15.4-square-mile site, and no ground has yet been broken.

Read more: In Mexico's Baja, worry that a 'new Cancun' may harm reef | McClatchy

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Newreef15

Newreef15 Horrid Stonefish

wow just another perfect example of the fact that people with money rule the world what a shame

4. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Thats one big FISH!! and terrible thing people cant just stay in the vacation spots they have already ruined.

5. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

6. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

You might want to look at the new issue thats happening in the cook islands and the chineese exporatory fishing. I have no problems with recreational fishing, and even think marine reserves can be bad if they push out recreational fishing, but I have problems with big business raping the sea.

7. AcroholicReefer

AcroholicReefer Astrea Snail

:( This is sad. To think about all of the progress that the reef has made and it throw it all away...

8. Click Here!

9. Myocyte

Myocyte Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

10. Broaner

Broaner Feather Duster

Whats really sad is that dumb people continuously flock to overly hyped touristy unauthentic "On Location" homes away from home with all the BS we are familiar with and non of the real culture. "We" collectively brought it upon ourselves by patronizing these types of resort destinations for decades.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Back on this issue - I will be putting some contact information together and make it real easy for people help get the word out here. I want to do this right so expect a follow up next week with details.

matt

12. AcroholicReefer

AcroholicReefer Astrea Snail

Thanks Matt for looking into this for us.