New coral is not happy?

Discussion in 'Coral' started by Ash and Mike, Aug 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Ash and Mike

Ash and Mike Astrea Snail

Hey guys have a quick question about our very first brand spanking new coral!! We have been doing alot for reading of post than writing lately, but once we took teh jump from fish to coral, ;D we wanted to ask to make sure we were doing good =)

We got the coral from the LFS seemed very healthy and happy, the question lies on the edges of the coral. It has a very lighter color to it and since this is our first we couldn't determine growth vs. unhappy :confused: It was purchased a week ago. We've been doing WC's every week and all levels are nice atm and just wanted yall's expert opinions ;D

For some reason when you type in "Growth vs. Dying Pics of coral" on the web you don't get much =*( Thank you guys so much ahead of time!!!

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. JupiterSailfish

JupiterSailfish Peppermint Shrimp

Star Polyps right? I got a big rock and only a few of them would only come out (at the time I had two 65 watt Power Compacts over them). After I put in the Metal Halide, the whole rock came out and looks beautiful. I would try it in another location.

4. {Nano}Reefer

{Nano}Reefer Dragon Wrasse

GSP are very wierd corals, although incredibly hardy, they can take a few days to a week to fully acclimate, what type of lights do you have? and i wouldnt be too concerned, if they are out they should be fine,

i have a big clump of them, not attatched to anything and the new growth looks very similar to that whitish purple color :)

5. MTips18

MTips18 Purple Spiny Lobster

when they spread its a lighter purple color and they love bright light and cal around 450 and they will get out of control

6. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

mine were the same way when I first got them but like MTips 18 said, have your cal up. as far as lights mine have been under 65x4 compacts and there doing great.
    at first they were on top of the rock, now they are all over.
    pict was a little blue because just the actinic's were on.:)

the whitish edges are normal. mine are the same way when I can see them (usually when the lights go out).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  7. Ash and Mike

Ash and Mike Astrea Snail

To answer you question Nano we are running ... drumroll please =P ...

2 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue's
    2 65 watt 10,000k Daylight's
    4 3/4 watt Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow Led's

And tell us what they have won Jonny is it the Noob lighting with incorrect placement of coral package behind door number 1

or...

Is it the first tank and not doing too bad but making the common new tank owner slip ups behind door number 2!!!!!

Thank you guys too for the responses, as always great to hear all of you =)

8. Click Here!

9. wastemanagement

wastemanagement Eyelash Blennie

the pic loos fine just growth these things spread like wild fire I have about a square foot of thjem in my 55, realy out of control, they are easy as pie to frag thou

10. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Mine were deprssing until I moved them up to the top of the tank..Now they have covered a big rock and are still going strong. !!
    Good luck...dont worry..just matbe more light...and check the cal.
    LG
    [​IMG][/IMG]

11. shawn8003

shawn8003 Astrea Snail

Hahaha. You seem to be doing fine.

I'd say door number 2!

12. 1st time

1st time Purple Spiny Lobster

I only have 2- 55 cf, and my GSP is growing like wildfire. Yours look good.